The Quadrangle was transformed from a residential complex to a lively carnival ground yesterday afternoon, complete with kosher food, live music and entertainment and games. For two hours under fair skies and warm temperatures, the Upper Quadrangle hosted a Purim carnival sponsored by the Jewish Heritage Programs in celebration of the festive Jewish holiday. The carnival was initially scheduled to take place on Tuesday afternoon to coincide with the dates of the holiday -- from Monday night to Tuesday night-- but was postponed due to Tuesday's inclement weather. About 25 students milled about the Quad, helping themselves to food and participating in the various booths and games. The entertainment included music from the five-member Ba'al Shem Tov Band, as well as live dancing and performances from the Mummers. Kosher sushi and the traditional hamantashin -- pastries filled with jam -- were spread out along tables. Included among the carnival-like games were a basketball shooting station and a dunking booth, featuring Rabbi Ephraim Levin of the Lubavitch House for Penn in the hot seat. "It's a fun way to celebrate Purim and educate people of the holiday," Levin said, in between throws from students. The JHP sponsored the carnival in an effort to promote awareness of cultural Judaism on campus in a spirited way. "It promotes awareness through campus in a fun way," College sophomore Richelle Eisendrath said. "It shows that Judaism can be fun." "With the Purim Carnival, the JHP is attempting to break the conception that Jewish holidays are not fun," added College senior Alan Dorfman, who is a JHP intern. Purim is a celebration of the death of Haman, approximately 2,300 years ago. Haman was the advisor to the King of Persia and plotted to massacre the Jews living in the land. He was executed when the king learned of his plans. The holiday is centered around Queen Esther, a Jewish heroine who risked her life to inform her husband of Haman's plot. Traditionally, the holiday is celebrated through the reading of the Megillah, the story of Purim. Customs also include giving gifts of food, giving to charitable organizations and eating hamantashins. The JHP is an organization that strives to promote education and awareness of Jewish culture. "The purpose of the JHP is to select leaders on campus to run programs for their peers," said Rachel Baum, a fellow to the JHP.