The top two backs in the Iview meet in a matchup of first-place teams. Tomorrow's Yale-Penn game on Franklin Field represents the marquee matchup in this weekend's Ivy League football schedule. Seriously. The two teams are tied with Harvard and Princeton atop the Ivies. "I don't remember the last time this game really had implications," Penn senior co-captain Joe Piela said. That's probably because it hasn't had implications since 1990 -- when Piela was in the eighth grade. Although Yale has not had a winning season since 1991, this year's Elis (3-3, 2-1 Ivy League) come to Penn (4-2, 2-1) for a 1:30 p.m. kickoff with aspirations of winning their first Ivy title since 1989. But Penn has other ideas, as it is the only team in the Ivies that still controls its own destiny. Yale struggled to a 1-9 record last season after coach Jack Siedlecki replaced the legendary Carm Cozza. Siedlecki is out to prove that last year was not a sign of things to come. "There's no question a transition year is always difficult," Siedlecki said. "Our offense is complicated and they were previously an option team. It was a learning experience for everybody." After allowing 58 points against Brown and over 300 yards of offense each of the last three games, the Quakers' defense could use a game against a weak offensive team, but Yale enters the game ranked second in the Ivies in total offense. Elis junior running back Rashad Bartholomew is second in the Ivies in rushing after a career-high 194 yards last weekend, including a 70-yard touchdown. "Bartholomew gives them an element they didn't have last year," Penn coach Al Bagnoli said. "They didn't really have a breakaway threat. They got instant speed when he transferred in [from the Air Force Academy]. Although the Elis average almost 10 more runs than passes per game, the difficulties encountered by Penn's secondary against Brown and Fordham may somewhat shift their focus to the passing game. "You've got to get a feel of what you're doing well during the game," Siedlecki said. "Week to week, we've been very balanced. One week we run really well, other weeks we throw well." Yale quarterback Joe Walland is a versatile threat, averaging 53 rushing yards per game in addition to 186 yards in the air. Walland is second in the Ivies at 5.58 yards per rush. But Penn's offense is not exactly struggling either. Senior co-captain Jim Finn rushed for 259 yards and six touchdowns at Brown last week, leading the Ivy League's third-ranked offense to a whopping 51 points. "I think [Finn]'s bigger than one or two of our defensive lineman," Siedlecki said. "It's important that we are getting off of blocks and getting a lot of people to him." Meanwhile, Penn quarterback Matt Rader has played two strong games since suffering a huge gash on his throwing arm against Fordham. Last week he went 21-for-34 for 250 yards and a touchdown. Although Rader has only thrown four interceptions this year, turnovers will probably be a key to the game. While the Elis have forced 11 more turnovers than their opponents have this season, the Quakers' foes have outdone them by two turnovers. "The turnover battle is usually the most significant statistic besides the final score," Bagnoli said. "You're always worrying about the ability to generate turnovers, and the ability offensively to not have too many turnovers." Yale's one glaring weakness is the kicking game, where its two punters have averaged only 31.9 yards per kick. Kickoffs have also been a problem, as opponents average 23.8 yards per return, including one 90-yard touchdown. "Our kicker has done a good job," Siedlecki said. "But punting and on kickoffs, we have not done a good job. We don't kick the ball deep enough, and we're giving us some long returns because of it." Elis field goal kicker Mike Murawczyk leads Division I-AA with 10 field goals this season. But the high number of field goals also points to an inability to put the ball in the endzone. Yale's opponents, on the other hand, have not had that problem, with only two field goal attempts in six games. The focus of the game will probably be Penn's ability to stop the pass, as the Quakers' passing defense is next-to-last in the Ivies. If Walland and his receivers play anything like their counterparts at Brown did last week, the Quakers and their scoreboard operator will be in for a long day. But Penn's defense also has something to prove after plummeting from first in Division I-AA in defense a few weeks ago to 24th. There is a lot on the line for Penn, as the Quakers next three games are against the three other teams tied for first in the Ivy League. Three wins will clinch a tie for Penn's first Ivy League title since 1994.