We write as two faculty masters, one outgoing and one incoming, who are proud of two closely related achievements of Penn's college houses: first, that faculty are specifically empowered to lead and to take responsibility for building and sustaining these remarkable communities; second, that students are everywhere being called upon to step up and participate in key decision-making. The combination works powerfully -- and has produced tangible results. At Modern Languages College House, which will become part of Gregory College House next year, students and house staff teamed up to create an unprecedented recruiting drive for new residents of the "language floors." Retention of current students set a record. The Modern Languages program within Gregory thrives because students cared about it passionately and, with Peter Steiner of the faculty, were empowered to do something to help the house. Meantime, Kendrick Li of the King's Court/English House ITA team is so convinced that residential computing support works that he is speaking this month at a number of "Penn Previews" for prospective students and their parents. Kendrick's persuasive talk for the class of '02 is about how Wheel Project initiatives empower students in the College Houses to exercise real, meaningful leadership. Hill has needed new furniture for some time. But in college houses that work by consensus, as Hill traditionally does, ordering furniture over the summer as a September surprise won't do. So Jim O'Donnell, the faculty master of Hill College House, acting as a liaison between Hill students and the facilities departments, arranged for several "show" rooms. Hill residents spent the year visiting these rooms, trying out the furniture, and perfecting the balance between comfort and efficient use of the small spaces. In the fall Hill will have all new furniture -- designed, in effect, by the people of Hill. Last week, plans were completed to upgrade Harnwell's classroom with new technology and furniture. And by next fall, at the students' request, there will be reading lamps on the tables in the rooftop lounge. Ivar Berg is a faculty master who provides his house a clear sense of academic leadership -- bringing the essence of teaching home, as it were. Cindy Mullock, a Quad resident for four years, is one of many students who enjoyed taking a for-credit course in Ivar and Calli Berg's living room, and she's joined Kendrick in sharing her experience with those who come to Penn Previews. Ivar attracts distinguished Penn faculty to present one seminar session each week; a lively discussion ensues over a home-cooked supper. Two years ago, in Van Pelt College House, the students and staff intensively interviewed a number of candidates for the position of faculty fellow. This is an appointment, as in all 12 college houses, made by the faculty master -- but always in consultation with the students (usually the house council) and graduate associates. That year, John Richetti was appointed, among others; he and his wife, Temple English Professor Deirdre David, moved into the house. Richetti was so effective in this role that a committee of students and faculty recommended to the provost that he be appointed the first faculty master of Harrison College House. Since that announcement was made, the folks at Van Pelt have been vigorously looking for a new faculty fellow. On Tuesday night they decided, after a month of interviews, discussions and consensus-building, to appoint Professor Lori Rosenkopf of Wharton's Management Department. Lori, her attorney husband Kevin, and their children Taylor and a new-born, will move on campus in July. Lori is delighted to have been chosen through such a truly collegial process. She is right to conclude that the students who participated in this process have learned some significant lessons by having participated in this decision. Hamilton College House is now appointing its last graduate associates, and the final openings all across the system are being filled -- by virtue of the hard work of student-faculty committees in each house. All the houses have had four or more applications for every GA vacancy, disproving the early doubters, and applications are still coming in. The exciting news about Penn's college houses is being carried nationwide by alumni organizations, the Penn Parents Program and admissions officers, all of whom have asked the faculty, staff and students who live in the houses to share their college house experiences and expectations. The message is being received with great enthusiasm, as Penn once again shows how a great institution can re-invent itself, working upward from the small centers -- like the college houses -- that are its foundation. Strong leadership begins at home.