University employees had protested outsourcing Penn's Way. In an effort to raise awareness about charitable giving, representatives from United Way recipient agencies spoke to University employees Friday afternoon at Chats. University administrators organized the event to increase donations for Penn's Way, the University's annual charity fundraising campaign. Executive Vice President John Fry said he hoped the presentations would clarify the aim of Penn's Way. In the past month, several faculty and staff members have expressed discontent that the 1996 Penn's Way campaign was being administered by United Way, an umbrella organization that keeps about 12 percent of each contribution as administrative charges to run its fundraising drives. The employees passed a referendum several years ago stating that the University -- and not an outside organization -- should administer the campaign. In reaction to the administrative decision to hire United Way without consulting faculty and staff, several employees said they would not contribute to Penn's Way this year. Manager of Field Community and Training Barbara Murray, who runs the campaign for the University, said she has not seen a decrease in the number of pledge cards. But she added she does not know how much money has been promised by employees. At Friday's event, which included wine and appetizers, two guest speakers discussed their agencies and addressed concerns about the United Way fee. "If [the employees] would look at our agencies, the United Way dollars are going to the right places," said Lorraine Latham, director of volunteer services at People's Emergency Center. Latham, who also spoke at the event, said the United Way is able to publicize People's Emergency Center better than the agency could on its own. People's Emergency Center is a shelter for homeless women and children, offering transitional housing and educational programs for its participants. Cheryl Durgan of Freedom Theater agreed at Friday's meeting that her organization benefits from being part of United Way. "It's an organization that spreads the word for charitable organizations at the lowest cost," said Durgan. Freedom Theater is a professional acting troupe that offers drama classes for impoverished children in the hopes of keeping them away from drugs and gangs. To increase interest in this year's campaign, administrators are holding a drawing for two USAir round-trip tickets to anywhere in the continental United States. Although the deadline for the drawing was December 6, donations will be accepted through the end of the month, Murray said. "When you see these speakers, it makes you realize the importance of giving and how even a small contribution can make a difference to an organization," she added.