Sportscaster will alsoSportscaster will alsoaddress gender equity The Palestra will play host to one of the biggest names in sportscasting Thursday night -- Dick Vitale. But the night is shaping up to be much more than just a speech, according to Connaissance Co-Director Rich Archer. "The way we're selling it is the Dick Vitale basketball rally," explained Archer, a Wharton senior. "He's one of the nation's premier motivational speakers -- he can be a big boost in morale for the University." Archer said Vitale will call each member of the men's and women's basketball team onto the floor, while a spotlight tracks each player. The team members will also participate in several drills and have a three-point shooting contest. And Vitale will speak about gender equality in collegiate athletics, focusing on Title IX. "He had five things he wanted to talk about, but we thought Title IX was the most applicable to Penn," Archer added. Women's basketball coach Julie Soriero said she thinks Vitale's talk will help people understand the issues involved in athletics gender equity. "I think the more we can educate people, the more people will understand the inequities that do exist and some of the changes that have occurred," Soriero explained. "[The team] is excited to be a part of this event just to be a part of it, not to be the torchbearer for women's athletics." Women's basketball team member Michelle Maldonado, a College junior, said she was looking forward to participating in the evening and to hearing Vitale speak. "[Vitale] is a big name in men's basketball," Maldonado said. "For him to be concerned about gender equity is a nice thing." According to Archer, the evening will also include a raffle to raise money for the Valvano Foundation, which benefits cancer patients and was started in memory of long-time college basketball coach Jim Valvano. Prizes include a $325 QuakerCard and gift certificates from area business like The Gap, Metro Hair and The Book Store. Vitale will receive $15,000 for the appearance, which Archer said was relatively low for a high-profile speaker. "People in [the] caliber of Sylvester Stallone will go for hundreds of thousands," Archer said. "Oprah Winfrey is ungodly." Seating for the event is general admission and free tickets can be picked up on Locust Walk today until Thursday.