Candidates focus on past actionsCandidates focus on past actionswith few specifics on future, butCandidates focus on past actionswith few specifics on future, butvoter allegiances seem unchanged The 1996 presidential campaign intensified last night with the first of two debates between President Bill Clinton and Republican challenger Bob Dole. Held in Hartford, Conn., and hosted by Public Broadcasting Service newscaster Jim Lehrer, the 90-minute debate was the first opportunity for many Americans to get an uncensored impression of the candidates. The debate covered predictable ground, from taxes and foreign policy to Medicare and assault weapons. And in what may be perceived as furthering the generation gap between the two candidates, Dole referred to Clinton at least three times as "scaring senior citizens." But neither candidate uttered a memorable phrase that will be remembered as emblematic of the evening -- like vice-presidential candidate Lloyd Bentsen's "You're no Jack Kennedy" remark to Dan Quayle in 1988. Indeed, this debate is likely to be remembered more for what the candidates did not say than what they did. Neither candidate gave specifics on his plans for the future, relying rather on "the record" of past political decisions. Dole repeatedly attacked Clinton as "exaggerating" claims of having eased the deficit and cut unemployment, while Clinton brought up Dole's votes for tobacco interests and against Medicare and assault weapons bans as examples of how a Dole presidency would hurt the nation. At one point, Dole accused Clinton of having a "photo-op foreign policy," which Clinton countered with examples of his administration's work in Bosnia, Haiti, Kuwait and Israel. When the issue of drugs was raised, Dole stated he would "train the National Guard to come in across the border" to stop the flow of drugs from Mexico. And in a pointed attack on Clinton's drug record, Dole added that he "wouldn't comment on things that have happened in [Clinton's] administration." Students watching the debate at the Annenberg School for Communication last night said Clinton's obvious comfort with the issues indicated he was the unofficial winner of the contest. Still, CNN called Dole the evening's victor and several newscasters last night said the contest was an "even draw." But College senior Karla Lozano said Dole appeared nervous on stage. "Clinton seemed very confident," Lozano explained. "His statements were clear." In a CBS poll immediately following the debate, more than 90 percent of viewers said they did not switch their allegiances after watching the debate -- a sentiment also echoed by students. "It reinforced what I already felt," College sophomore Emily Lieff. "But it was interesting to see the candidates up close and not through the eyes of the media." Lieff added that Dole should concentrate on relating to Americans more in the next debate, which is scheduled for October 16.