Almost half of the Class of 2000 spent Saturday doing something decidedly unusual for the typical Penn student. They did not roll out of bed at noon. They did not toss frisbees around the Quadrangle all afternoon. They did not even go to the Food Court for lunch. Instead, about 1,000 freshmen woke up at 9:30 a.m. to volunteer at more than 50 sites throughout the city as part of Penn's annual Into the Streets orientation program. College freshmen Mia Levine and Hannah Cannom worked at an elementary school at 52nd and Spruce streets, painting over graffiti-sprayed doors. "It was pretty disturbing to see a schoolyard with so much graffiti," Levine said. Cannom said she thought it was "sobering" to spend the day at the school. "It's so close to Center City, but worlds apart," she added. This year, freshmen in groups led by their resident advisors volunteered at a variety of sites, including nursing homes, Habitat for Humanity building sites and West Philadelphia's Clark Park. College senior Cara Weinstein, the program's coordinator, said Into the Streets serves as an introduction to community service for the freshman class. "It's one way of spurring students to do community service," Weinstein said. "They come back from a meaningful and enjoyable project, then go back in a week or a month for more." Vice President for Government, Community and Public Affairs Carol Scheman called the program an important way to empower students living in an urban environment for the first time. According to Scheman, the program can help make students feel less helpless about their neighborhood and its problems. "This gives them a sense that they can do something on a one-time, episodic, or ongoing basis to make a difference," she said. "It's important that people know there's an opportunity to get involved in the community." After a day of service around the city, the participants returned to the Quad for a celebratory picnic, complete with free T-shirts, hoagies, entertainment and speeches by local politicians, including Mayor Ed Rendell and City Councilwoman Jannie Blackwell. College senior Batya Kaufman, who worked on the program, said she was pleased with the turnout at the picnic. She added that the University's performing arts groups -- Mask and Wig, Pennsylvania 6-5000 and Penn Band -- were particularly well-received by the students. "A lot of first-years hadn't heard any of them yet," Kaufman said. "The picnic added a lot of closure to the day." During his speech, Rendell congratulated the students, calling Into the Streets "a great program." "When I went to school we had no relationship with the city," said the Penn graduate. "This class can really make a difference in the city, in the daily lives of a lot of people." He noted that community service throughout Philadelphia has increased during his tenure as mayor, citing the volunteers who staff the 50 city library branches on Saturday mornings and those who work to keep Fairmount Park clean all year round. Rendell also encouraged students to register to vote in Philadelphia. "Quality of life issues are just as important to you as to the people who live here," he added.