Jordan, Langel andJordan, Langel andOwens hope to lead PennJordan, Langel andOwens hope to lead Pennback to NCAA tournament Maple Glen, PA Thought it was all over, didn't you? That loss to Princeton in the one-game playoff for the Ivy League's NCAA tournament bid sealed the demise of the great Quakers basketball dynasty, right? Wrong. Well, at least if Michael Jordan gets his way. No, the Chicago Bulls star won't be coming to West Philadelphia to finish out the college eligibility he left behind when he left North Carolina as an underclassman. Starting next year, though, Penn will have its own Michael Jordan in the backcourt. The Quakers' answer to His Airness, a six-foot high school senior from Abington Friends in suburban Philadelphia, leads a talented trio of incoming freshman who have verbally committed to join coach Fran Dunphy's program. Filling out the threesome are 6-foot-4 guard Matt Langel and 6-foot-11 center Geoff Owens, both of whom hail from South Jersey. Ivy League rules have prohibited Dunphy from publicly commenting on the incoming players. Of course, that doesn't mean others can't talk about the group's potential. The mere mention of their names to each of their respective high school coaches throws open the floodgates of praise, with the words "immediate impact" seeming to be the common thread among the three recruits. While the players themselves are remaining low key about what they might accomplish individually on the hardwood next winter, they have very definite plans for the team as a whole. "I think the main goal is to win the Ivy League crown and get back to the NCAA tournament," Jordan said. And if the Quakers are to return to the top of the Ancient Eight basketball ladder over the next four years, Jordan's skills will be a key asset. With all of the impressive numbers he has put up in high school, including an average of 24 points and 6.2 assists per game as a junior, perhaps the greatest skill he brings to the table is his ability to motivate his teammates. In high school, his leadership skills helped lead Abington Friends to the Friends School League title in each of his three years there. At Penn, his intangibles should be in a high demand as he joins a squad which will lose its three leading scorers to graduation in May. "One of the best things about him is his leadership and aggressive style of play," Abington Friend's coach Steve Chadwin said. "His best attribute is that he makes his teammates better." Joining Jordan in the Penn backcourt of the future will be Moorestown High School's Langel, whose size and versatility has many drawing comparisons between him and another South Jersey phenom named Matt who met with a fair amount of success in a Quakers uniform -- 1995 Ivy Player of the Year Matt Maloney. Langel, like Maloney in 1990, was named first-team all-South Jersey. That achievement places Langel in the company of players who have signed with programs such as Louisville, Temple and Villanova. Langel himself turned down a number of offers from Atlantic 10 and Big East schools, focusing much of his attention on Ivy League suitors, according to his coach at Moorestown, Steve McGair. "Matt is a Division I player by every count," said McGair. "[6-foot-4] is a big-time size for guard." Although he made a name for himself as a scorer in high school, racking up 1,497 points during his career, McGair sights Langel's unheralded passing ability as the key to his future success on the collegiate level. Playing practically down the road from Langel is the big man, Owens, who came into his own this year for Bishop Eustace. In Owens, Penn gets an exceptional athlete for a near-seven-footer size. His high school coach, Bill Lange, says Owens feels as comfortable playing behind the three-point line, where he shot 44 percent this year, as he does down on the blocks with his back to the basket. In fact, much of what drew Owens to the Quakers program was the freedom Dunphy traditionally gives to his centers. "I really respect what he's done," Owens said of his future coach. "I'm really excited to have the opportunity to be playing for him." Despite his imposing height, Owens tips the scales at only 180 pounds, only about 15 pounds more than Jordan, who stands almost a full foot shorter. His somewhat lithe frame contributes to Owens's status as the rawest of this year's recruits. Still, as Lange attests, the potential is most certainly there. "He's the most skilled big man I've ever seen in the state," Lange said. "He's not a guy who has white man's disease. "He can change the complexion of what another team does away from the basket. His range makes him very difficult to guard. I think people at the Palestra are going to love him." Indeed, if Owens, along with Jordan and Langel, can restore the Quakers to their perch atop the Ivy League, there's no doubt that many people at the Palestra will be pleased.