In conjunction with the city of Philadelphia, the University proposed building a bike lane on Spruce Street between 34th and 38th streets at a University Council Safety and Security Committee meeting Friday. University officials said the city plans to create a bike lane five feet wide on either direction of Spruce Street. But University officials were concerned about the effect the bike lane might have on parking on Spruce Street. And beginning in either fall 1996 or spring 1997, the city is planning to repave Spruce Street from 34th Street to Cobbs Creek Parkway. Also at the meeting, SEPTA officials presented their plans to step up security at trolley stops at 36th and Sansom streets and at 37th and Spruce streets. They also plan to make aesthetic improvements to the stops, which are used by many members of the University community. SEPTA officials said they have increased police presence at the stations. According to SEPTA Police Sgt. Dennis Metzger, SEPTA Police has assigned four officers to patrol these stations. The police officers provide a visible presence. They also remove homeless people from the stations. Metzger also said SEPTA will revamp its emergency call box system beginning in February 1996. More emergency call boxes will be placed in the stations, and the call boxes will be serviced more often. Other upcoming safety features include a red strobe light outside the station which will alert travelers to danger in the tunnel. Even more visible changes being made to the trolley stops include cleaning all the stations, painting the stations, improving the lighting and retreading the steps that lead to the underground. Director of Victim Support and Special Services Maureen Rush added that SEPTA will be painting the stations the University colors of red and blue. She said SEPTA has also installed mirrors in the 36th and Sansom streets station. Rush thanked the SEPTA officials for being responsive to the University's needs. University Police Lt. Gerald Leddy said University Police has also made increased security efforts at SEPTA stations. He said police are checking the concourses and stairs and checking the emergency phones. Brett Levinson of the Daily Pennsylvanian contributed to this article.