From Scott Mulhauser's "On The ball," Fall '95 These words from my parents rung in my ears two and a half years ago as I watched them drive back home, leaving me and everything I own to start life anew here at Penn. Well, Mom and Dad, this year at the Palestra, standing will not be an option. Throughout my young life, I have learned that if I feel strongly about something, I should take a stand. Standing up is both literally and figuratively a gesture of commitment, respect and importance. On issues of vital concern (and also many trivial ones), I take pride in standing for what I believe. Standing is a sign of honor. It demonstrates that whatever compels you to rise commands a certain dignity for which sitting is not fit. Standing has come to be associated with many events of great importance and pride. I have risen for countless momentous events, from the daily pledge of allegiance in elementary school to court appearances to weddings. I stand in synagogue and I stood at commencement. I stand for the Star-Spangled Banner before every sporting event and for the Red and the Blue following every Penn game. I enjoy standing. In fact, I am standing right now. Now I'm sitting again. During those same sporting events, I often times jump up during heightened moments of action. For a big dunk, a touchdown run or a close play at the plate I can usually be found standing, having jumped out of my seat along with the rest of the crowd to express my pleasure or disbelief over a dramatic event, ridiculous call or idiotic decision. At the Palestra, standing has become a tradition. Students stand throughout the game as a gesture of their support for the Penn basketball team. While standing for the entire game is occasionally tiresome, it seems little effort in comparison to that exerted by the players on the court. As I grow weary towards the end of the game, so, too, do Ira Bowman, Tim Krug and the rest of the Quakers. Standing is my own gesture of support, hopefully in some little way willing the Quakers to victory. The powers that be in the Penn athletic department have determined that those students in the best available seats will be unable to stand throughout the entire game this season. Complaints from alumni in adjoining sections who cannot see the entire court have caused Athletic Director Steve Bilsky to institute this policy. When students stand in sections 115, 116 and 215, alumni and other fans sitting in 114 and 214 have part of their court vision blocked and therefore must stand as well. Does the Athletic Department not realize the dedicated student body committed to their basketball team? Many of these students, demonstrating their love for Penn hoops, have camped out for three days to get seats and will attend every game. Each game these fans demonstrate their support by painting their faces, cheering until they grow hoarse, wearing loads of Penn paraphernalia, and, most obviously, by standing for the entire game.