and Amy Lipman Vice Provost for Research Barry Cooperman announced in June that he will be stepping down from his position today. "It's been a long time," he said. Cooperman served in his position for 13 years. Provost Stanley Chodorow said holding the position for that length of time is an extraordinary accomplishment. "The length of his tenure alone indicates that Vice Provost Cooperman has done a superb job," he said. "No one who was not first-rate and who was not making a major contribution to the University could have stayed on that long." Cooperman, who has been a member of the faculty since 1968, will return to teaching chemistry full time. He said he was frustrated during his tenure because he did not have the opportunity to conduct extensive research for himself, although he was happy to be able to teach at least one class each year. Cooperman said he would have left his position earlier but he wanted to see the Institute for Advanced Science and Technology -- a project that dates back to 1987 -- succeed. Last month, the Air Force released its Record of Decision, giving the University the last piece of governmental information it needs to demolish Smith Hall and begin the construction of the high-tech building. Chodorow added that he will now try to find a member of the senior faculty to serve as acting vice provost, but added that he does not expect to find a permanent replacement until later in the fall.