After serving as the interim director of the Greenfield Intercultural Center first semester, Reverend Larry Burnley has been awarded the position permanently. Burnley was appointed in mid-July to replace Interim Director Joseph Sun, who took a position in the Wharton School. After the semester-long search, Associate Vice Provost for University Life Larry Moneta is convinced that Burnley is the perfect person for the job. "I feel like we could have searched for years throughout the world and we couldn't have found a better candidate," Moneta said. "He's a terrific choice. He knows the students and the students trust him." Moneta added that Burnley's expertise in coalition-building and management, in addition to his goal of bridging cultural gaps, won him the position. A native of Cleveland, Ohio, Burnley graduated from the University of Cincinnati in 1979 with a degree in African-American Studies. He then returned to college after counseling Cleveland inner-city youth and working as an investigative parole officer. He finished his Master of Divinity work at the Christian Theological Seminary in 1990. And he is now studying at the University's Graduate School of Education. Burnley was assistant director of the Christian Association before taking his position at the GIC and said he feels that this new position is very similar to his work in the ministry. "This ministry that I'm involved in with Penn is very similar to what I'm doing here," he said. "It has been a ministry of reconciliation and empowerment. I don't see a great deal of difference except one is more cultural." Burnley's goals for the GIC are three-fold -- to create opportunity for intercultural dialogue, foster relationships between the GIC and graduate groups and continue the comprehensive support presently given to the many student groups that are connected with the center. University students are enthusiastic with Burnley's appointment. "I'm very excited because as interim director he was an integral part of the activities that [the United Minorities Council] sponsored, as a mentor and a sponsor," UMC President Liz Melendez said. "I look forward to working with him this semester because I know he'll continue supporting us." Burnley is extremely enthusiastic about his appointment and his chance to work toward increasing diversity on campus. "I'm convinced that the GIC is an extremely important institution on this campus," he said. "And I believe that we can help Penn become a truly multicultural community."