For 34 years, Murphy's Tavern has been University City's answer to "Cheers" -- a low key, neighborhood bar frequented by students, locals and alumni. But now the social hotspot may be shut down by the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board by the end of the year for charges of underage drinking. Located at 44th and Spruce streets, Murph's is one of 15 establishments in Philadelphia that had its liquor license renewal challenged by the LCB on October 31. Murph's co-owner Joe Murphy will appear at a hearing before the LCB in the near future. Murphy said he has not yet been notified when the hearing will take place, but refused to comment further on the proceedings. If he loses his case, Murphy will either be forced to stop selling alcoholic beverages -- or shut down the tavern entirely. Murphy said this move by the LCB has taken him by surprise because the LCB has not caught any underage drinkers in the bar since last January. "They've been in here, but they haven't caught anybody, [so] evidently we've done a pretty good job," he said. "I've chased out lots and lots of people trying to come in." Now Murph's, notorious among underage students as the "freshman drinking hangout," requires two forms of identification of anyone who "looks under 50," Murphy said. He said bouncers are requesting driver's licenses and social security cards. A third form of identification or a signed affidavit stating that the patron in question is over 21 may be requested if the patron does not appear to be of legal drinking age to the bouncer. The affidavits may only be used as a bar owner's defense if they are in fact signed by patrons who are of age, according to Bill Pawliczeck, former president of the Licensed Beverage Association and the owner of Cavanaugh's Restaurant at 39th and Sansom streets. Murph's has seen a decline in customers since bouncers began requiring more identification, Murphy said. Pawliczeck said the best safeguard against underage drinking may be in an establishment's reputation. He said Murph's is known as a place that lets in underage drinkers, whereas Cavanaugh's and Smokey Joe's at 40th and Walnut streets attract an "older crowd." Murphy said, though, that he wonders how a college bar could possibly attract such a group. "I don't think there's a bar in University City that attracts an older crowd," he said. Murphy added that although he realizes that LCB officials are "just doing their job," he does not understand why they do not focus on more serious problems, like drinking and driving. "When people leave my bar, I always ask them if they're driving," Murphy said.