Caffeine junkies may have trouble balancing their bank books this month, since the price of coffee is on the rise. Because of an unexpected frost in Brazil this June, imported coffee has become scarce and merchants around the country and locally have had to raise prices. David Conn, a partner at Chimes Cafe at 40th and Pine streets, said Chimes had to raise the price of refills from 35 cents to 50 cents, and that the cost of a regular cup may increase by 10 cents if the coffee crisis does not subside. And Devin Williams, an employee at Last Drop Cafe in Center City -- a coffee house patronized primarily by college students and artists -- said the price of a cup of coffee has increased by 25 cents. The average price of a bag of ground coffee has also increased nationwide because of the crisis. This price jump has translated into empty pockets for many students at the University who simply aren't themselves in the morning -- or at any other time of day -- without their daily cup of coffee. "I need a separate bank account because of my coffee addiction," said College sophomore Stefanie Kudrac, who trekked all the way down to Caribou Cafe at 11th and Walnut streets to satisfy a caffeine fix this weekend. College junior Justin Burks said he is cutting back on his meat intake in order to counterbalance the jump in the cost of java. "An expensive cup of coffee is a buck, a cheap cup is 80 cents," said Burks, who drinks about 10 cups of coffee each week. "With the amount I spend on coffee, the [20 cent] difference adds up to what I spend on a Billybob's cheesesteak. So I'll buy one less cheesesteak." Engineering senior Jordan Gushurst said he does not have to worry about passing up cheesesteaks in order to hold onto his coffee money, because the coffee he drinks is not imported from Brazil. "I grow my own," said Gushurst. "Some people home-brew, I home-bean. I prefer domestic -- it's a flavor thing." But for die-hard coffee drinker Lija Bentley, a College junior, there is no alternative to drinking the pricey beverage sold at city cafes. "People might linger over less coffee, but I need the caffeine," she said. "It's harder to get other people to go with me [to coffee houses] now, but I'm willing to pay for the extra amount." College senior Kerri Catino said although the cost increase has had an "incredible" effect on her budget, she simply cannot stay away from the beverage. "I'll still buy it," she said. "I love it. I have at least one cup a day."