Gov. Robert Casey dealt a serious blow to the University's Veterinary School yesterday by not funding it in his 1993--1994 state budget. By ignoring the University in his annual budget address, Casey left the future of the Vet School -- the only one in the state -- up in the air. About 40 percent of the Vet School's annual operating budget came from state funding until the University received nothing from the state last year. As a result, the University is currently running a $19 million deficit, of which the Vet School accounts for $16.5 million. President Sheldon Hackney said yesterday that he has begun to make plans for the possibility of recieving no state aid. "We do not have the funds to keep the Veterinary School running ourselves," he said. "[With no state aid] we will be phasing [the Vet School] out over a number of years. All we did by admitting the class this year is extend our commitment out one more year." The last time the state funded the Vet School was during the 1991--1992 fiscal year, when the school received almost $15 million. Although Casey has decided not to fund the Vet School, the agricultural lobby is trying to convince legislators to support it through supplemental appropriations, which would come from approximately $200 million in money left over after this fiscal year. Casey has plans for the surplus and will likely veto a bill giving any money to the University, Casey budget spokesperson Sue Grimm said. But there is still hope for the Vet School, Hackney said yesterday. "I'm still optimistic that we will be able to convince the legislature and the governor that the state requires the Veterinary School," he said. Many veterinary experts agree that closing the Vet School would be devastating to Pennsylvania. "If the Pennsylvania Vet School closed, it would be horrible," John Rush, Tufts University critical care director, said last month. "From both a clinical and research aspect, Penn is at the top of its field." Faculty members have been standing by the school through its financial woes and have, for the most part, remained at the school, Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs Jeffrey Wortman said. Vet School Dean Edwin Andrews, who was at the Westminster Dog Show in New York yesterday, could not be reached for comment.