University Police Commissioner John Kuprevich called the alleged "mistreatment" and "stereotyping" by University Police officers "inappropriate" yesterday, following a complaint by a homeless rights advocate. David Lynn, executive director of the University City Hospitality Coalition, reported that three white University Police officers asked him to "move on" when he stopped to observe the arrest of two black individuals Monday night. According to Lynn, the officers violated his civil right to observe the police in the line of duty. "Because of my position, I am always 'on duty' in a sense, and consider it my obligation to check into such matters," Lynn wrote in a letter to The Daily Pennsylvanian. UCHC is an organization consisting of students, community members and homeless volunteers that aids homeless and needy people in West Philadelphia. Kuprevich said last night that Lynn should not have been asked to leave the scene and promised a full investigation of the incident. "The community has a right to observe and watch what law enforcement is doing out in the public eye," Kuprevich said. "The point where a member of the community interferes with or escalates the severity of the situation is the point when an officer can advise that person to move on." After the officer responded that Lynn was distracting him from doing his job, the officer allegedly made stereotypical remarks about the men who were under arrest. According to Lynn, a University Police officer told him, "Well if you work with these people, then you know that these guys are crack addicts and drug addicts, and that they belong in rehab or jail, and not on the street." Kuprevich said he has not yet determined the accuracy of the story but added if Lynn's account is accurate, the police officers were wrong in their treatment. "Many, many things said during the interaction were personal opinion and inappropriate to be said," Kuprevich said. "That's no way to treat a member of our community." Both Lynn and Kuprevich said the incident raises larger issues of conflict between University Police and the community. In the letter and in a phone interview last night, Lynn questioned the University Police's knowledge of diversity. "Are public safety officers required to undergo any diversity training like the students?" Lynn wrote in the letter. "Is it okay for an officer to take that attitude towards community members, voicing it publicly while in uniform? Is this how the University wishes to keep the peace with the community?" The commissioner, who was apologetic to Lynn, said diversity programs have been ongoing since last year and are continuing for officers. He added he is adamantly opposed to police officers expressing their personal opinions in the line of duty. Kuprevich also said that University Police will have to deal with the interaction between black members of the University community and white officers. Lawrence Burnley, associate pastor of the Christian Association, echoed Kuprevich but said he was not surprised by the incident because of similar instances he has heard about in the past. "That kind of incident does not surprise me, and it's not a rare event," Burnley said. "There have been many instances of African-American faculty, students and people of the University community who have come on the campus and have been approached by police and stereotyped." "This is a tremendous problem that the University is not really addressing in any real substantive way, outside of some meetings," Burnley added. "The mistreatment by public safety officers continues." No H&J; required. Do not bother inserting ! -- Michael ' The community has a right to observe and watch what law enforcement is doing out in the public eye. ' John Kuprevich University Police commissioner