University policy states that no examinations or assignments may be due on Martin Luther King Day, but many graduate students said last week that this is not enough. "Penn is proud of the way in which [it] handles diversity . . . but when it comes down to showing that pride, they don't do it very well," said Cheryl Butler, a member of the Graduate Student Associations Council. Many students said they feel the University should go even farther and cancel classes because Martin Luther King affected people of all cultures and ethnic groups. "I think the University should close down for the day," said Marina Barnett, a student in the School of Social Work. "The idea is to focus in on solving some of the problems that the country has." Larry Moneta, associate vice provost of University life, said that while today's holiday, like all other secular and religious holidays, is not officially recognized, the University respects the rights of students and faculty to observe it. "Classes are held on all holidays," Moneta said. "It becomes the individual's decision to celebrate. People ask the faculty to be sensitive to this." The Graduate and Professional Student Assembly, the Black Graduate and Professional Student Assembly, and GSAC, plan to hold a three hour teach-in commemmorating King. The teach-in will include panel discussions on the civil rights movement and this generation's civil rights responsibilities. Terri White, director of the office of Student Life Programs, said she would "encourage more groups to participate in this day of learning." The program sponsors are encouraging teaching assistants to bring their classes to the teach-in. Fourth-year economics graduate student Nancy Brooks said she feels that the University should grant students the day off. "I always believed it should be a 'celebrate diversity day', . . . a day in celebration in memory of him, not just a day to sit around and watch soap operas," she said. Nancy Valiente, a Wharton graduate student, said that students would probably fall far behind in their course requirements if the University closed for the day. "[The University] is so rigid in requirements for each class and would put the work somewhere else," Valiente said. "It would be tougher for us." Valiente added that since she is an international student she does not have "as strong a feeling" about Martin Luther King Day as many others do, but said she understands "that it's an important holiday for a lot of people." But Fine Arts graduate student Scott Broaddus said he agrees with the University's policy about holding class on Martin Luther King Day. "If they start recognizing holidays in honor of individuals, Martin Luther King would be one of the first . . . but you'd have to consider him along with George Washington or Abraham Lincoln," Broaddus said.