Students celebrated Martin Luther King Day in banner style by participating in "King's Walk," a program to increase awareness of King's message. Members of 17 different campus groups crowded into the auditorium of the Christian Association yesterday to paint banners for the holiday. The finished banners will be displayed on Locust Walk for the rest of the week. "We wanted to make the statement that Martin Luther King Day is an important holiday, and [we wanted to help people] to remember all of the good things he did," said Michele Wolf, chairperson of the Committee for King's Walk. "We wanted to try to get student groups to come together and paint banners to create a visual experience along Locust Walk," she added. Wolf, a Social Work graduate student, said that her other goal was to bring together the different student groups on campus to work on a common project "because most of the time each of the various groups work separately on their own activities." Many students took the day off from classes to paint banners with a message. Kappa Alpha Society and Van Pelt College House collaborated on a banner that read "Let Freedom Ring at Penn--Living the Dream." Black Student League Vice President Airea Walker, a College junior, said that the BSL painted a fist because they thought it the best way to symbolize power. "We're looking to bring power -- whether it's administrative or academic or black power -- at the University together to commemorate Martin Luther King," said Walker, who was also on the Committee for King's Walk. Children from the Penn Children's Center were also "on hand" to contribute their art work. Eighteen four-year-olds traced their hands with markers for their banner. "For the past few days, we have been teaching them about Martin Luther King, and we thought it would be a good experience for them," said their teacher, Hassan Rafig. Onyx Senior Society president Brandon Fitzgerald stressed the importance of events such as King's Walk. Fitzgerald observed that years ago, it was difficult for blacks even to attend an institution like the University, and "it is the responsibility of those who have a voice to use it and speak for those who can't." "We hope that it will serve as a remembrance of what this day means," said Castle resident and College sophomore Jessica Myers. Wolf said she felt that the turnout was "wonderful" and that the day "went very well," especially because of the diversity of the student groups that participated. The Program for Student Community Involvement, the Black Student League and the Castle's Community Service Living Learning Program co-sponsored the program.