First year medical student Amy Hirshfeld spent a day away from the books Saturday. She and 150 other medical students were part of hosting the Philadelphia Special Olympics on Hill Field. The University's Medical School traditionally organizes the local contest which provides an opportunity for mentally and physically disabled athletes to display their skills in several sports. Medical students say the Special Olympics also serve as an opportunity for them to get acquainted with each other in a rewarding atmosphere. Hirshfeld, who spent Saturday morning adorning Hill Field with flags and balloons, said she believes the event is both community-service minded and enjoyable. "The Special Olympics are a good opportunity for us, as a class, to do something that means a lot to these people," she said. Athletic Chairperson and second year medical student Mark Schattner arranged much of the day's logistics, noting that the annual requires much work. "Organizing these events can be difficult," Schattner said. "But we've passed down tricks from year to year to make things run more smoothly." Under a cloudless sky and temperatures in the low 70's, the Special Olympics kicked off early Saturday morning with the gathering of the athletes and volunteers for an opening parade. The assembly allowed the athletes and volunteers to get to know each other in a festive and informal atmosphere. After the parade, participant Mike Malone recited the Special Olympics Oath while Jane Robinson displayed the torch -- a traditional ceremony to mark the beginning of the games. Athletes competed for medals in boccie, croquet and horseshoes, and also enjoyed seven other non-medal "leisure events." Ray Williams, a medalist in croquet, said he also enjoyed playing non-medal events volleyball and bowling "just for fun." "The Penn students are really nice" Williams said. He said that he appreciated the University's annual commitment to the event. William Beck, the Medical School's Associate Dean for Student Affairs, said he was impressed by the students' commitment to this year's Special Olympics. "While this event is totally voluntary, community involvement has now become part of their education," Beck added. "We have a good enough medical school so we don't just have to look for 3.8's. This is an interesting, multi-talented student body." Second year medical student Jeff Herman, who helped coordinate the event, said that 113 athletes were joined by about 150 University volunteers. He added that this was the University's tenth year hosting the Special Olympics. "The idea that the Penn community is apathetic is a myth," Special Olympics Director Donald White said. "Athletes leave here feeling good about the University."