A state Republican leader yesterday vowed to support the University's efforts to retain state funding -- despite threats from other local legislators not to fight for the University. But the executive director of the Senate Appropriations Committee said the unpopularity of Gov. Robert Casey's proposed tax increase may further complicate the University's chances to retain state funding. Ryan said Casey's budget proposal announced earlier this month -- which ignored the University's request for $41.2 million -- surprised him. Ryan, whose role has been pivotal in arguing the University's case in past state budget battles, added he is upset with Casey's choice to eliminate the University's allocation entirely rather than phasing it out gradually. "I don't think under any set of circumstances it is morally right for the Governor to cut off the [University's] financial head with one fell swoop," he said. The minority leader added that the Veterinary School, the only one in Pennsylvania, is instrumental to the University's case for securing state funding. "[The Vet School] is far easier to sell than is the University," he said. Casey's proposal is the beginning of the state's six-month budget process. Both houses of the General Assembly will consider the proposal before devising the final budget for fiscal year 1993. Currently, the state Senate Appropriations Committee is conducting hearings and reviewing the details of the Governor's proposal, Executive Director of the Senate Appropriations Committee Bob Bittenbender said yesterday. Bittenbender said it is too early to tell how different the final budget will be from the Governor's proposal. He added that although he "support[s] the University," he is not optimistic about the University's chances of receiving funding. "I'm not sure how realistic it is at this point in the process that we'll be in the position to restore that [funding]," Bittenbender said. Bittenbender added "certain members of the General Assembly" will not support Casey's proposed tax increase, which would add $76.5 million to the state's annual income. If the taxes are not passed, this amount would have to be cut from Casey's proposal in order to balance the budget. He added that many Republicans support an unfinalized program to "repair the business tax climate" which could cost approximately $30 million. If passed, an additional $30 million would have to be cut from the rest of the budget to compensate for the program. "After that, additional cuts could be used to start to restore some of the cuts of the Governor, including the University of Pennsylvania," Bittenbender said. In the past, the state legislature has consistently increased the University's appropriation level over Casey's proposal. But this support was threatened when President Sheldon Hackney received a letter from 20 local state legislators saying they will not help the University regain its funding due to a controversial lawsuit. The legislators said they believe the University should provide more Mayor's Scholarships to needy Philadelphia schoolchildren.