In preparing to begin the search for a permanent Judicial Inquiry Officer, Vice Provost for University Life Kim Morrisson found that often disputing University constituencies agreed on what to look for in a new JIO. Morrisson said last week that although she received input from a variety of different organizations and administrators, from the Undergraduate Assembly and the Black Student League to University Police Commissioner John Kuprevich, the diverse groups agreed on what characterizes a good JIO. "There was a lot of consensus," Morrisson said. "I think . . . this position has been of such interest and so many people have something to say." Morrisson said people desire impartiality, fairness and sensitivity to the educational environment in a JIO. Acting Associate VPUL Barbara Cassel said the JIO must also understand student needs, have the ability to negotiate and resolve conflicts, possess a high level of interpersonal skills and be of good character. Cassel added that she is optimistic about using the ideas of the various constituencies. "I think nothing but positive [results] can come out of this exchange," she said. "It takes a very unusual person to be able to do this well," Provost Michael Aiken said. A JIO search committee, which will be headed by Cassel, will be put into place this week. The VPUL's office is currently looking for students to serve on the committee. Morrisson said she hopes to have a replacement by the end of the semester for Interim JIO Jane Combrinck-Graham, who took the year off from her job as Associate Director of Risk Management following the resignation of former JIO Constance Goodman last summer. Morrisson said it is her understanding that Combrinck-Graham is "not interested" in taking the permanent position. But Combrinck-Graham said last week that she has not made a final decision on the matter. "It's never wise to say 'absolutely no' until you know what it is you're saying no to," she said, adding that she has yet to see a detailed job description. Combrinck-Graham added that should she choose not to be considered for the position, she would volunteer to help the search committee. "A candidate for a position has as many questions for a search committee as that search committee has for a candidate," she said.