President Bush named a former Wharton administrator and Wharton professor to two top government positions last month. Bush named Barbara Franklin, former head of Wharton's government and business program, as his new Secretary of Commerce, and Assistant Public Policy and Management Professor Dennis Yao as the sixty-eighth Federal Trade Commissioner. If Franklin's nomination is confirmed by the Senate, she will replace Robert Mosbacher, who resigned from the post last month to chair Bush's reelection campaign. Many business and political leaders praised Bush's choice of Franklin because of her extensive government and business experience. Most recently, she was president of her own management consulting firm and has served on the boards of directors of seven of America's largest companies, including Dow Chemical Company and American Express. In 1989 she served as an alternate delegate to the United Nations General Assembly. Currently, there are only two high-ranking women in the Bush Administration -- trade represenative Carla Hills and Labor Secretary Lynn Martin. Franklin's peers praised her qualifications for the post. "Barbara Franklin is not a trophy-seeking woman. She is a capable person, . . . I would never consider her as a token candidate," said John Marous, chief executive officer emeritus of Westinghouse Electric and U.S.-Japan Business Council chairperson. Paul Lagos, the current CEO of Westinghouse, where Franklin has served as a director since 1980, also praised Bush's choice, saying in a press statement that Frankiln will make "a substantial contribution as Secretary of Commerce." Deputy Wharton Dean Tony Santomero said he was not surprised by Franklin's appointment because of her involvement in the Republican party. Santomero also praised Yao's appointment to Federal Trade Commissioner, citing the professor's experience with government and business relations. In his new post, Yao will be involved in trade and exchange policy formulation. He will hold his new post until September of 1996. And Santomero recognized both appointments as a boost to the University. "We really have an impact on society," he said. "The government can come to the University of Pennsylvania to assist society."