Houston Baker, director of the Center for the Study of Black Literature and Culture, took over as the first black president of the Modern Language Association last month. English Professor Baker, who has taught at the University for 18 years, said he is excited about his role as spokesperson for the 30,600 member organization that represents and furthers the study of modern language and literature around the world. As the first black president, Baker said this week he hopes to "make sure that the democratic opening up of literary studies of the last 20 years continues." After being elected second vice president two years ago, Baker automatically succeeded to the position of first vice president last year and to the presidency this year. The century-old association is best known for producing the MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers, which is regarded as the premier place to find the do's and dont's of writing in English. The book is widely used in the United States and Canada and has been translated into other languages, including Japanese. The MLA made headlines last year during a controversy over the nomination of Carol Iannone to the National Council on the Humanities, an advisory board to the National Endowment of the Humanities, by NEH head Lynne Cheney. Iannone,the president of the National Association of Scholars, a conservative organization, is herself a known conservative. When the MLA announced its opposition to Iannone's nomination, several major newspapers accused the organization of being a "crusader for political correctness" and basing its decision on her political views, rather than her scholarship. The Executive Council of the MLA, however, said it did not feel Iannone was a distinguished enough scholar to sit on the board. When Iannone's nomination came up for a vote before the Senate Committee on Labor and Human Resources, she was denied being placed on the Council by a vote of eight to nine. Baker said this shows that the MLA's doubt was justified. The MLA's membership increased after the incident, which Baker said indicates the English community's support of the MLA's view that Ianonne's qualification did not meet federal regulations. Baker said the MLA began over a hundred years ago when "a group of rebellious professors decided that they had had it with instruction only in Greek and Latin classics and wanted to introduce work in modern languages such as English, French, German, and Spanish." The main functions of the organization include the production of three major publications, as well as a number of minor publications, and hosting an annual convention attended by between 9,000 and 12,000 people. Besides the MLA Handbook, the Association also produces an updated version of their bibliography each year which is used as a reference source for anything of a scholarly nature that has been published. Baker said that he is excited that the bibliography now includes the work of black and Asain authors. The Publications of the MLA is an annually produced journal which Baker said is "the premier place to publish in the study of modern languages and literatures." The annual convention includes 800 sessions on subjects ranging from feminist literature and criticism to discussions on up-and-coming writers and also serves as a forum for job interviews and hiring. "[Dr. Baker] is a man who is so passionate about so many things," English Department Undergraduate Chairperson Alice Kelley said. "I am sure his presence will make a difference."