University Police Sergeant Thomas Messner knows his way around guns. Messner, a supervisor of the department's Crime Abatement Team, took second place in the individual performance category in this week's marksmen contest of Delaware Valley teams. Messner, who has been with the force for eight years, also virtually carried the four-man University Police Department squad to its second place finish, according to department officials. Eight teams representing Delaware Valley police departments participated in the competition, which was held at the Philadelphia Prison. During the day-long event, the competitors fired 60 shots at targets ranging from three to 25 feet away. The contest for individual performance included a 50-foot range target. Messner and Officers Anthony Richio, Michael Sylvester and Mike Paul represented University Police, giving up a Saturday to compete in the contest. Messner, who is firearms instructor at the department and was ranked one of the top 20 law enforcement marksmen in the state last year, scored 586 out of a possible 600 points -- a "phenomenal" score, according to his teammates. He shot a total of 60 rounds, and had an "incredible" 29 perfect shots, they added. Sylvester, who scored 547, won a third place individual award in the Class B category, which includes the second top three shooters. Sylvester said the competition is not only useful, but added that he "enjoyed it tremendously." "I think it's great experience," he said. "A police officer depends on his gun to save his life." Sylvester, who has never had to use a gun while on duty said, "I feel confident that I would save my life if necessary." Sylvester credited Messner with carrying the team, calling him "an excellent shot." "It made me feel good knowing that we had good shooters," said Officer Anthony Richio, who joined the police force last year. "We accomplished something as a team." Richio, who has been involved in firearms for at least seven years, bemoaned that he had a bad day, scoring 505 out of 600. Each perfect shot is worth 10 points under the scoring system. Points are awarded according to how far from the center of the target the shooter hits.