What is black, white and read all over and weighs 90 tons per month? According to University Recycling Coordinator Al Pallanti, its the paper students, faculty and staff on campus have been recycling since the University's program was officially implemented in September. "I'm very pleased with the program to this point," Pallanti said. "The response has been very encouraging. All remaining buildings on campus will be recycling within a year, he said, adding that it takes about a week to bring a new building "on-line." Until then, Pallanti said Physical Plant will continue to make "special pickups of large mass paper products" at buildings not yet incorporated into the program. Only paper and aluminum cans are currently being recycled, but Pallanti said students and staff will soon be able to deposit glass, plastic and bi-metallic cans in drop-boxes on campus. The bins will be in place within four to six weeks, although locations have not yet been determined, Pallanti said. While the environment is an obvious beneficiary of the recycling program, there are economic advantages as well. Normal trash removal costs the University $75 a ton compared to $10 a ton for the disposal of recycled material. The University saves over $6,000 each month, Pallanti said. Pallanti said although the state was mandating recycling, concerned students on campus also prompted the implementation and participated in the planning process. College senior David Rodstein, who heads the Undergraduate Assembly's Environmental Committee, said one of his committee's focuses is ensuring that campus center planners incorporate recycling into the design of the complex. Another aim of the committee will be to encourage the University to purchase office supplies made from recycled material. Pallanti said the option of buying such supplies will become "a University-wide project in the next six months." Most students say they are enthusiastic about recycling and are willing to go through the trouble of separating their trash. "If it helps the environment, it's worth the effort," said College freshman Dave Peikin. "Everybody ought to be recycling." College senior Heather Stewart said she recycles paper and aluminum through the University, but added that she also recycles glass and plastic through a program sponsored by the Arts House program in High Rise East. Drexel and LaSalle universities have implemented programs on their campuses as well, but Pallanti said "we are well ahead of other programs volume-wise."