School of Arts and Sciences Dean Hugo Sonnenschein, appointed provost of Princeton University Monday afternoon, received unanimous praise from former and future colleagues at Princeton yesterday. Princeton President Harold Shapiro, who selected Sonnenschein for the position, yesterday called him "a person of outstanding integrity and vision." Although Shapiro would not name the other finalists for the position, he said Sonnenschein was the "most distinguished" candidate. "We are obviously delighted," Shapiro said. Sonnenschein will replace outgoing Provost Paul Benacerraf in the second highest position at Princeton. Sonnenschein received the unanimous consent of the six-member search committee who reviewed over 100 candidates. "He struck the committee as combining, in a really extraordinary way, the very important characteristics," Princeton Philosophy Professor and search committee member John Cooper said yesterday. Former associates at Princeton said they were also excited about the return of the economics professor, who taught at the New Jersey school from 1974 to 1988. Sonnenshein came across the Delaware River to become the fifth permanent dean of the University's largest school in the summer of 1988. "Sonnenschein is a superb teacher who was very close to his students," former Princeton economics chairman Allen Binder said last night. "He strikes you as a fairly quiet, not overtly aggressive person, but somebody with very strong views." Princeton Economics Department Chairman Stephen Goldseld, a friend of Sonnenschein's, echoed Binder's sentiments, adding that he is "delighted" that Sonnenschein will return. "We think your loss is our gain," Goldseld said. "He's a very thoughtful, caring individual. Sonnenschein was credited this week by President Sheldon Hackney and Provost Michael Aiken with improving the quality of SAS and exceeding the fundraising goals set for the school. And Princeton administrators said yesterday that his reputation precedes him. "He is reputed to be an excellent administrator," Princeton Vice Provost Janet McKay said yesterday. "I am delighted that he is going to be joining us." She added that Sonnenschein's long standing ties to Princeton will help him adapt to the administrative structure there. Sonnenschein will remain at the University until July, although he will make weekly trips to Princeton beginning next month. Provost Aiken, who knew about the job offer two weeks ago, is in the process establishing a search committee to find Sonnenschein's replacement.