Black History Month, already well underway, has been criticized by members of the black community who feel the University has not done enough to recognize the celebration. Although the University itself has not sponsored many events, students around campus have organized many programs to commemorate the month. Among the highlights will be a speech by Betty Shabazz, the widow of Malcolm X. The Black Graduate and Professional Student Assembly will sponsor the February 20 speech. Black student leaders said it is unfortunate that students have had to organize most of the events themselves. They said black history is part of American history and the University should do more to recognize the achievements of blacks. "I don't see the University as a whole doing anything to promote interest in the month," said Christina Swarns, a first-year Law student. "Black history is a definite part of world history," Black Student League President Jessica Dixon said. "You just can't look at it for one month out of the year." Kathryn Williams, president of the Black Inter-Greek Council, said much of the University community thinks black history is separate from American history. "Our histories are inextricably woven together," Williams said. The Christian Association will sponsor a discussion about the effects of Black-Africanism on Judeo-Christian history today at 4 p.m. in the CA building's lounge. "It's a critique on how Western scholarship has treated Africa in antiquity," said the Reverend Lawrence Burnley. Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority, which annually celebrates Black History Month, is focusing on the cultural achievements of blacks this month. "Our theme is 'The African-American Experience: A Celebration of Artistic Experience,' " Christine Bussey, co-chair of the sorority's cultural committee, said. The sorority is also sponsoring a discussion about Afrocentricity on Tuesday. Molefi Asante, author of "The Afrocentric Idea," will speak at 7 p.m. in the multi-purpose room of DuBois College House. On February 19, the sorority will host a Black Performing Arts Night at 7 p.m. in High Rise North. Performance poet Kammika Williams will present a dramatic poetry reading at the Harold Prince Theater at 7 p.m. on February 27. The Greenfield Intercultural Center will present a lecture by Ronal Takaki, a professor at the University of California at Berkeley, at 7:30 p.m. on February 19. "Re-visioning American History: Diversity and the Curriculum" will explore ways to represent a spectrum of cultures in history. The lecture will be in DuBois College House. The Black Law Student Association will sponsor a two day conference on February 22 and 23 in Houston Hall, featuring Kenneth Mundy, the defense attorney for former Washington, D.C. Mayor Marion Barry. "The program will explore the effects of the drug problem in the black community and explore how we, as aspiring attorneys and acting attorneys, can eradicate the problem," Kimberly Kelly, a first year Law student, said. "A Legal Approach to the Drug Dilemna" will feature representatives from the Guardian Angels, the Nation of Islam, the American Civil Liberties Union, and the Drug Enforcement Agency.