As midnight and the United Nation deadlines approached last night, some students slept. Many across the University, however, were glued to televsion sets, listening to radios and anxiously awaiting news of an invasion. Some had their prayers answered, at least temporarily, when neither side engaged in combat. Nursing senior Mary Bauer's boyfriend is a desert warfare specialist in the Marine reserves. A war might mean a call-up to active duty. "His sergeant told him to be prepared to go within forty-eight hours," Bauer said last night. "The sergeant told him to have his will in order." Jon Cho, a College freshman, worried about a friend stationed in the Gulf. "I couldn't deal with one of my best friends dying," Cho said last night. "It's screwed up. He's nineteen, for God's sake." And although most students and professors spent yesterday in class discussing course objectives, their recent winter break and upcoming weekend plans, the Gulf crisis lurked in the back of their minds. Some professors, particularly in history, political science and communications courses, told students today the content of their courses may have to be altered if there is a war. Walter Licht, an associate history professor, told his students he could understand if they were distracted by the impending deadline. He said he remembered worrying about an atomic bombing when he was a senior in high school in 1962. He and his friends would huddle around a transistor radio waiting for information about the Cuban Missile Crisis. Associate English Professor Carey Mazer made light of the situation, changing the title of his Modern Drama course on the blackboard to "Modern Drama: World War I to World War III (starts at midnight). But during class, he spent several minutes voicing his opposition to the mobilization. As the deadline grew closer, though, the mood on campus became completely serious. In the rooftop lounge of High Rise South, some students simply sat by themselves, praying quietly. Others were quick to offer their opinions on the crisis. President Bush had significant support among students. "I hope there is no bloodshed, but I support Bush," College freshman Todd Kopstein said. Some were more extreme. Steve Marks, a College freshman, said the U.S. should go all out. "We keep sending people over there to take over some country," Marks said. "We let things escalate to this extent; we should just drop a bomb on them." Many others, however, were less supportive, questioning the reasons for becoming involved in the crisis. "Beyond oil and naked aggression, I feel like George Bush is doing this to divert pressure from domestic issues like the savings and loan [bailout], budget crisis and other long term problems," said Susi Baranovsky, a College sophomore. "These are just as important." Many students seemed resigned to war. "Pulling out now would be like signing our own death warrant," College sophomore Amy Doherty said last night. "It's a mistake to be there, but it's a moot point now." Sean Basinski, a College freshman, said,"[If] war is inevitable, we should get on with it." Staff Writers Damon Cheston, Jodi Broberg and Melissa Fragnito contributed to this story.