The three-week-long winter break was extended one extra day for some lucky students who faced empty lecterns at their first classes of the spring semester. A change in the academic calendar last summer created confusion among both students and faculty who mistakenly thought classes began today instead of yesterday. Nearly every department was plagued by absenteeism among professors who used the older, flawed calendar. Executive Assistant to the Provost Linda Koons said yesterday the University prepares its academic calendar three years in advance and that the calendar originally provided a full day for drop/add registration. Koons said the Council of Undergraduate Deans "realized that the full day of drop/add wasn't necessary" and moved up the beginning of the semester to Monday. University Registrar Ronald Sanders said yesterday the change was announced in The Almanac six months ago. He added that his office received calls last week from several professors, but said faculty should have been aware of the change. The provost's office distributed memoranda to every department last week when they realized that much of the faculty was confused about the start of classes. Sanders, who was not in his office yesterday, said from his home that he was unaware of any absentee problem. Political Science Department Chairperson Oliver Williams said his department received a flier from the provost early last semester but some professors still had the outdated information and followed the incorrect schedule. Several students reported that their Economics 2 -- Introduction to Macroeconomics -- classes were canceled yesterday. Wharton students were also plagued by professor-less classes. At least one Introduction to Management class was canceled. Political science and computer science students were similarly blessed with an hour of freedom when several of their professors never came to class. College freshman Steven Marks said his instructor did not show up for his second semester Spanish class yesterday. "We just sat there for twenty minutes and then got up and left" he added. Engineering senior David Perkis was granted a free day when both of his chemical engineering classes were canceled. Perkis said that both of his professors told the students that they were unaware of the change in the schedule. He said although both professors made it to class, both said they were not prepared to teach.