School of Arts and Sciences Dean Hugo Sonnenschein yesterday announced that five humanities and social sciences professors have received term chairs for outstanding achievements in research. Sociology Professor Elijah Anderson, Political Science Professor Friedrich Kratochwil, Economics Professor and Chairperson Andrew Postlewaite, Romance Languages Professor Marina Brownlee and Japanese Studies Professor William LaFleur earned the awards, which provide money for research. "It is wonderful to be able to recognize and support the work of distinguished scholars in this way and I am appreciative of the contributions of friends of the University that make this possible," Sonnenschein said yesterday. Sonnenschein, who chose the chairs' recipients after discussions with their department heads, called the professors "marvelous choices." The professors were notified about their appointments last spring and summer. Several said last night that the awards will help them continue their studies and said they are pleased that the University places a high value on research. Economics' Postlewaite said last night he is "very pleased that the University has been able to raise funds to support research." "It's a positive sign when the University is able to raise monies for research like this," he said. Postlewaite's chair will provide support over the next five years for his research on organizations and incentives. Sociology's Anderson, who said he has been offered an endowed chair from two different colleges, said the University "responded with an offer of a term chair." Anderson plans to use the chair money for research in urban ethnography. Political Science Professor Kratochwil said last night he plans to use the chair money to finance a comparative study of international systems, and to finance research for a book on the organizations of international life. And Japanese Studies' LaFleur said last night he is "grateful to the donor" of his chair. LaFleur, who started teaching at the University this September, said receiving the chair was part of his agreement to come here. LaFleur said the money from the chair will be used to fund his research on Japanese literature and religion. Brownlee, who could not be reached for comment last night, specializes in Spanish literature.