While the names of students have changed and some of the scheduled events have shifted focus, the annual Greek Week remains an important way of bringing the Greek system together and introducing it to others. Greek Week organizer David Hecht said last night that this week's events will highlight the positive qualities of the Greek system and will raise awareness of problems in West Philadelphia that fraternities and sororities can help solve. Hecht added that Greek Week also serves to introduce freshmen and others to the fraternity and sorority system at the University. The Week is traditionally held before the Interfraternity Council rush period to increase visibility of the system. And while Greek Week is composed of several events organized by the Interfraternity Council, the Panhellenic Association, and the Black Intergreek Council, it also serves as a competition between fraternities and sororities. Scoring for the competition is based on the percentage of each chapter attending and participating in Greek Week events. Awards will be presented Saturday night at Barley and Hops for the highest-scoring fraternity and sorority in the weeks' events. Scheduled Greek Week activities will begin at 4 p.m. today as Leona Smith, chairperson of the Committee of Dignity and Human Fairness, is scheduled to speak on College Green along with several fraternity and sorority leaders. Smith is expected to speak on how college students can help fight homelessness in Philadelphia. Tomorrow, Greek members will conduct a walk-a-thon for charity throughout West Philadelphia and the University campus, cleaning up the area as they walk. Pledges collected from the walk-a-thon will be donated to the People's Emergency Center -- a non-profit West Philadelphia organization which provides food and shelter for the homeless. Some other events during the week include a "Meet the Greeks" day, when students and faculty will be able to meet fraternity and sorority members on Locust Walk all day Thursday. Additionally, BIG-C fraternities and sororities are presenting a step show in Irvine Auditorium at 7 p.m. this Friday. The show is free and open to all students and faculty. Greek Week will conclude after the football game on Saturday, with a Greek Olympiad, at which fraternities and sororities compete in athletic events. Members of the Progressive Student Alliance said they will plan several events to give the University community another perspective on the Greek system -- a system they claim provokes racism and sexual harassment. PSA members plan to kick off their own Greek Week activities tomorrow with a noontime protest in front of the Castle at the corner of 36th Street and Locust Walk. Members also plan to pass out fliers protesting President Sheldon Hackney's decision not to remove fraternities in order to diversify Locust Walk. PSA member Scott Kurashige said last night that the group intends to protest other Greek Week events but has not yet made specific plans.