abbyHong

Senior Abby Hong led the way for Penn as one of the three Quakers to finish in the top 10 this weekend.

Credit: Ilana Wurman

Penn cross country was successful all the way around last weekend at the Main Line Invitational. 

The men’s team finished first and the women’s team finished second in their respective fields of five teams. Competing along with Penn were Villanova, Haverford, Lehigh and Swarthmore. 

The men enjoyed a dominant performance that saw eight of their runners occupy the top 10. The Red and Blue scored 25 points on the day, and were paced by junior Kevin Monogue and senior captain Chris Luciano. Monogue earned his career-best finish in the cross country circuit, placing third with a four-mile time of 19:34.8. Luciano finished a close fourth with a time of 19:38.5. Rounding out the Quaker presence in the top 10 were Patrick Hallay in fifth, Ryan Renken in sixth, Aaron Groff in seventh, Colin Daly in eighth and Will Daly finishing ninth.

On the women’s side, the Quakers scored 40 points in their second place finish in the three-mile behind Villanova. The Red and Blue were led by senior Abby Hong, who notched a second-place finish with a time of 16:39.5. Hong must really love the Main Line; she placed fifth in this event in 2015, and sixth in 2016. 

The Red and Blue also got a boost from freshman Danielle Orie. Orie started off her cross country career in stellar fashion with an eighth-place finish and a time of 17:10.2. 

Although the Quakers also were aided by a ninth-place finish by junior Marin Warner, it was not enough to get past the Wildcats.  

The Red and Blue will head to the Paul Short Invitational for their next meet on September 29th.