img_8406
Credit: Zhiyi Zhang

Students who violate the University’s academic integrity, student conduct or sexual violence codes will be barred from receiving academic honors, the University announced earlier this week.

Any student who receives a sanction of probation or a greater offense for breaking the Code of Academic Integrity, the Code of Student Conduct or the Sexual Violence, Relationship Violence and Stalking Policy will not be eligible for Latin graduation honors or Dean’s List citations. Provost Vincent Price and Vice Provost for Education Beth Winkelstein announced the two policy changes on Tuesday, according to the University's Almanac.

"In addition, when a student receives a sanction of probation, suspension or expulsion from the Office of Student Conduct or the Sexual Violence Investigative Officer, that sanction will be part of the student’s permanent record and, therefore, reportable outside of Penn," the announcement stated.

Students receive graduation honors based on their cumulative GPA at the end of college — summa cum laude, magna cum laude and cum laude, from highest to lowest ranking. Students with a 3.7 or higher combined GPA during the full academic year can also receive a Dean’s List citation on their transcripts at the end of each academic year.

If found to have violated any of the University’s three codes, a student who already earned Latin honors would still have their honors removed. A student’s Dean’s List citation would only be taken off for the academic year during which the student violated the codes.

The two policy changes were made based on a recommendation by the Council of Undergraduate Deans, according to Price and Winkelstein's message posted on the Almanac.