barnie

Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders held a rally Wednesday night on Temple's campus. The rally drew a crowd of over 10,000, of which not all could fit into the venue

Credit: Julio Sosa | News Photo Editor

The slamming of drums and the screeches of air horns could be heard ringing through North Philadelphia on Wednesday night, as an estimated 10,000 people crowded into Temple University to listen to presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) speak.

Between chants of “Feel the Bern” and “We want Bernie,” many Sanders supporters gave similar reasons for showing their support.

“We really need a change from establishment politics,” said Kathy Hiester, a resident of University City who worked at Penn helping students register for the Pennsylvania primaries, which will take place on April 26. “We are all out here to support Bernie Sanders because he’s one of us. He’s my guy, and I’m a shareholder. I’ve donated to him 10 times. I’ve skipped haircuts and all sorts of things to give to him. He’s here for us.

“Unless you’re wealthy and selfish, Sanders is your guy,” Hiester added. “I even got in trouble with my daughter the other day for chanting ‘He’s my daddy,’ but it’s true.”

Sanders fittingly chose to give his speech at a university, since much of his grassroots support has come from young people frustrated with the status quo in Washington.

“He’s really popular with college students because, honestly, despite the age difference, we get him,” Sydney Ross, a juniorat Temple, said. “Some people say he’s an idealist, but as young people, we know that he can really have an impact. We know he can create a more sustainable future.”

The crowd seemed to cheer every time Sanders opened his mouth, jumping up and down every time he raised his voice. Yet, nothing got the young crowd as passionate as when he started to talk about college tuition.

“Who here has student debt?” Sanders asked. Thousands of hands immediately shot in the air.

“Join the club,” Sanders added, bringing most of the crowd to their feet. “People who get an education should be rewarded, not punished.”

The rally even attracted some high school students who wouldn’t normally be involved in politics.

“Bernie Sanders is causing a mental change in this country,” high school senior Mango Amaryllis said. “I’ve never been really into politics, and I’m honestly partially here just to watch people go crazy, but I’m also here because I can tell Bernie cares about everyone and we really need that.”

After an hour speaking, Sanders wrapped up, much to the disappointment of many of his fans, but not before reminding his supporters that voting come Election Day was the most important thing they could do.