beaubiden

New scholarship will cover the average financial aid package for a Penn student, and is instituted in memory of 1991 College graduate Beau Biden. | Courtesy of Lonnie Tague/Wikimedia Commons

Months after his untimely death due to brain cancer, 1991 College of Arts and Sciences graduate Beau Biden’s legacy will live on in the form of a scholarship.

In conjunction with the Tau Chapter of Psi Upsilon, also known as Castle, Penn announced that the Joseph R. “Beau” Biden III Memorial Scholarship will provide need-based support to a College student demonstrating a passion for civil engagement and leadership through public service.

Biden, who was a member of Castle as an undergraduate, trained as a lawyer and served two terms as attorney general of Delaware. Previously, he served in Iraq as part of the Delaware National Guard where he won a Bronze Star. He was also given the Legion Award of Merit posthumously.

The scholarship, which will be awarded to one student annually, will cover the average financial aid package for a Penn student of $44,000. Ongoing fundraising efforts have been successful with donations from Biden’s friends and family totaling $500,000, said Maryann O’Leary Salas, director of development for undergraduate financial aid, in a WDEL article.

“Beau was an extraordinary human being, and his legacy at Penn and beyond is one of leadership and service,” Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences, Steven Fluharty said in a statement.

The Biden family has maintained close ties to Penn throughout the years. After Beau Biden died at the age of 46 in May 2015, Vice President Joe Biden traveled to Penn in January to launch an initiative to cure cancer through Penn Medicine. At the roundtable discussion to launch the initiative, he said that he intends to be involved with this effort for the rest of his life.

Ashley Biden, Beau’s half-sister, graduated from School of Social Policy and Practice in 2010 and Naomi Biden, Beau’s niece, is a current College senior.