48041_hillelf

Hillel | DP File Photo

This weekend, everyone at Penn was invited to party with Penn Hillel.

On Saturday, Hillel hosted a formal with a Speakeasy theme. The event was held at Steinhardt Hall from 8:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m., open to all students who purchased a $5 ticket online.

This isn’t the first time that Penn Hillel has hosted non-religious social events on campus. Engineering sophomore and Hillel social chair Maddie Gelfand said the organization hosted a bar mitzvah-themed formal last year and received positive feedback. This time at the Speakeasy, attendees over 21 could get two free drinks, a playful nod to the Prohibition Era theme.

Gelfand said the Speakeasy formal was intended to include all students on campus, regardless of religion. Similar to the Bar Mitzvah formal last year, these social events are intended to brand Penn Hillel as an inclusive place for Jews and non-Jews alike.

“It’s ... a fun party with a DJ, bartender, snacks and dancing,” Gelfand said. “It is supposed to be a way to render Hillel as a place for any Jew and non-Jew to come, instead of just a religious institution.”

Hillel is a Jewish interest center that accommodates Penn’s Jewish students and provides resources for any students who are interested in Jewish culture. 

“It is a place of necessity for lots of people but also a place for others to learn about Judaism and Jewish culture.” Gelfand said. “If you reach out to anyone they’ll be more than happy to teach you anything.”

Hillel also offers the Jewish Renaissance Project, which serves as “an alternative choice for Penn students who want to figure out what Judaism means in a sophisticated and intellectually open, and exciting way,” according to the program's website. Hillel also offers a Free for Coffee initiative that matches students with people from Hillel and encourages them to chat over coffee.

Lauren Epstein, an engagement associate from Hillel’s staff crew, explained that Penn Hillel is a “cultural identity center” that helps Jewish students in their “Jewish-self authorship” by providing both traditional and nontraditional assistance. Hillel provides not only religious services but also internship opportunities specific to Penn’s Jewish community. The organization also includes Shabbatones, a Jewish a cappella group.

A University of Maryland graduate and Philadelphia native, Epstein finds that Penn Hillel engages most of her interest in Judaism, including mentorship and public service. After she explored her Jewish roots during college, Epstein now finds Judaism meaningful not only in terms of religion but also in terms of service and social opportunities, such as the one coming up this weekend.

“The Speakeasy formal is a great event for people to hang out after the Friday night Shabbat,” Epstein said.

Correction: A previous headline stated that the event was bar mitzvah themed, instead of speakeasy themed. The DP regrets the error.