10092014_womensfieldhockey_copy
Women's Field Hockey v Monmouth. I think it was a 2-4 loss. Credit: Isabella Gong , Isabella Gong

Football

MVP

While it is difficult to find a shining star amidst the Quakers’ abysmal 0-4 start, both senior running back Kyle Wilcox and freshman running back Tre Solomon have significantly contributed to the team’s offensive efforts. Wilcox has 186 yards on 36 attempts while Solomon has racked up 145 yards on 25 carries. However, the availability of both players for the future is in doubt. Solomon left Saturday’s loss to Fordham on crutches, while Wilcox suffered a concussion.

Weaknesses

Thus far, the defense has been downright terrible. Allowing an average of 41.5 points per game, the secondary has struggled to shut down anyone and everyone. The Quakers surrendered 566 passing yards and 6 TDs to Fordham quarterback Mike Nebrich in Saturday’s 60-22 loss, one of the worst blowouts in recent program history. With more conference games in the second half of the season, the defense has to improve if the Quakers want any shot of finishing at the top of the Ancient Eight.

Strengths

One of the only bright spots for the Red and the Blue this season has been the outstanding kicking game of junior Jimmy Gammill. Setting a school record with five field goals against Fordham, Gammill was named Co-Ivy League Special Teams Player of the Week for his efforts. He is 8-for-9 on field goal attempts this season, including a career long 48-yarder, the longest made attempt by a Penn kicker since 2004.

Women’s Soccer

MVP

Despite a season of ups and downs thus far for Penn women’s soccer, freshman forward Juliana Provini has stepped up on the field and shown the team she is ready to play. And not just play — but win. With a fiery competitive spirit, “Jules” has scored two game-winning goals to help the Quakers rebound after consecutive conference losses. The reigning Ivy League Rookie of the Week will likely only get better from here.

Weaknesses

The Red and the Blue are young. Very young. And anytime you have a young team, there will be a learning period. All seven Quakers freshmen have consistently seen game action, and with each contest logged, they gain confidence and experience. However, because of all that youth, the team has struggled to maintain a high level of energy for all ninety minutes of the game.

Strengths

The solid middle line is made up of seasoned veterans and very skilled players. Senior Kaitlyn Moore, junior Erin Mikolai and talented sophomore Lindsey Sawczuk have led the Quakers with quick feet and have been very accurate in their ball distribution. This group will need to continue to play well as the team hits the road for three out of its four remaining conference games.

Field Hockey

MVP

Freshman attack Alexa Hoover and senior attack Emily Corcoran have led the Quakers offensively this season with nine and eight goals, respectively, through 10 games. Hoover also received the honor of Ivy League Rookie of the Week following the season-opening Lehigh match in which she had three goals and an assist. Corcoran also finished the game with a hat trick.

Weaknesses

With an overall record of 4-6 (1-2 Ivy), the Red and the Blue have struggled with consistency both in individual games and the season as a whole. Their opponents have outscored them 19 to 12 in the first half, forcing the Quakers to launch furious comebacks — they have outscored opponents 16 to 10 in the second half — that often fall short. Similarly, the team has yet to have a consistent winning streak, often losing big after good wins.

Strengths

Offensively, the Red and the Blue are loaded with talent. With Hoover, Corcoran and junior attack Elizabeth Hitti leading the way, the offense always keeps the team in the game. All but one of Penn’s losses has been by two goals or fewer. The Quakers are looking to rebound from some tough losses in conference play but still have to face a formidable Princeton team that ended their season last year.