While religion plays in the political decisions of many voters, the faiths of the candidates have received little attention compared to the rest of their platform.

A Pew Research survey found that only 16 percent of those surveyed want to learn more about Republican nominee Mitt Romney’s religion. Forty-one percent wanted to learn more about his record as Massachusetts governor, 36 percent about his federal income tax returns and 35 percent about his record as CEO of Bain Capital.

“What is particularly striking about this election is how little attention religion has received, despite the fact that we have the first Mormon on the ticket,” History professor and Jewish Studies program director Beth Wenger said in an email.

College sophomore and Penn Democrats Deputy Board member Ethan Lowens believes that the fact that Romney is Mormon is a reason why religion has not dominated election rhetoric.

Lowens said conservatives are usually more likely to bring up religion because they want to plant the idea that the Democrat candidate is less religious.

“In this occasion though, I think that the religious conservatives are not thrilled with Mitt Romney’s being a Mormon and so they’re not bringing up the idea of religion because then his Mormonism would get more attention,” he said.

Wenger said the fact that there is no white Protestant on the ticket this year is also striking. “The only Protestant is an African-American, who many continue to insist is actually a Muslim,” she said. “There has been too little discussion of what a sea-change this represents in American culture — a sign that religious pluralism has grown at least to some extent.”

Lowens is also surprised that there has been little mention about Obama’s family values and religion.

“I’m surprised that they haven’t been using that strategy and maybe it is because every time they bring up his religion, people start talking about how he’s a Muslim,” he said. “Maybe [the Obama campaign] thinks they have nothing to win by talking about religion.”

While the religions of the candidates have received little attention, voters still refer to their faiths when casting their ballots, especially when it comes to social issues.

Christian Association Executive Director Rob Gurnee said his Christian faith has led him to favor one party over the other.

“My Christian faith teaches me about God’s passion for this world and therefore I support policies that promote inclusiveness, peace, economic fairness, justice and environmental stewardship.”

A Pew Research survey found religion matters most on same-sex marriage, abortion and the death penalty, much more than on fiscal issues.

Lowens said his political views are partially affected by his Judaism.

“I don’t think that Judaism is a complete ideology in the sense that it doesn’t, at least for me, prescribe how I should feel about economic issues,” he said.

However, he admits that foreign policy is one area where his religion makes his political decision tough.

“My obligation as an American to support my country and my obligation as a Jewish person to support Israel make it hard to have a solid opinion in one way or another,” he said.

For College junior and Hillel Israel Vice President Brian Mund, voters don’t push their religious agendas at the polls.

“People understand that at the end of the day when they’re going to the voting booth, you’re voting on state issues and while your votes are informed by your religion-oriented values your religion doesn’t determine your vote,” said Mund, a Daily Pennsylvanian contributing writer.