[Lea Chu/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Frederick's of Hollywood CEO Linda LoRe describes how she helped make the company profitable after bankruptcy in 2001.

President and Chief Executive Officer of Frederick's of Hollywood Linda LoRe sees models on a regular basis.

"I see models," LoRe said. "Financial, inventory and stock models."

The Women in Leadership Series brought LoRe, whose company specializes in intimate apparel, to speak at Huntsman Hall yesterday evening.

LoRe, the youngest female CEO to run a Fortune 500 company, spoke of how she led Frederick's from liquidation in 2001 to financial success in a largely male corporate world.

"There I was, carrying bras and panties into corporate America," she said of presenting to potential buyers on Wall Street in New York. "I had to get serious that we are a business."

Ilana Stern, a College senior and undergraduate co-chairwoman of WILS, described how LoRe has gained respect from the male-dominated business scene through her "unique skill of being able to pull companies out of bankruptcy and into profitability, ... [which is] valuable in today's volatile corporate environment."

Nearly 300 students -- males, females, undergraduates and graduates alike -- attended the talk, which was also advertised through the Wharton Leadership Lectures to attract a wider audience.

Most of the students said they came to hear LoRe because of her business savvy.

"She had insights on how to save an organization falling apart," said Cyson Wong, a Wharton graduate student.

Many also expressed the sentiment that the talk had undeniable sex appeal, which attracted the audience.

"How can you desexualize lingerie?" College junior Cristina Suroiu said.

But before Frederick Mellinger launched the company in 1946, lingerie was not traditionally considered sexy.

Frederick's put sex appeal into intimate apparel by being the first to introduce black lingerie, padded bras and thongs -- "staples" today, LoRe said.

"We took sexy to a different level," LoRe said. "We were the original sex symbol."

LoRe seems to be an appropriate speaker for the University community, which "has demonstrated a strong interest in both the corporate and fashion worlds," said College sophomore Veronique Valcu, WILS co-chairwoman.

This interest is reflected in the recent emergence of student-run organizations such as the Wharton Culture Club, which held its first runway fashion show last year.