04-24-10-usain-bolt-alex-remnick
Usain Bolt waves to the Franklin Field crowd after leading Jamaica to victory in the men's 4x100 relay run at the 2010 Penn Relays. Credit: Alex Remnick

The Penn Relays, held at Penn’s Franklin Field, is an esteemed event that has witnessed some of the most spectacular moments in track and field history. Established in 1895, it has become a stage for athletes to showcase their skills and for fans to experience thrilling races. Let’s take a journey through some of the top moments that have defined this iconic meet.

1. Jesse Owens and his flawless baton exchanges

In 1936, legendary American track and field star Jesse Owens — then a college student — lit up the track, leading his team to victory in both the 4x100-meter and 4x200-meter relay races. Owens’ extraordinary speed and flawless baton exchanges were a preview of his future Olympic success, making his appearance at the Penn Relays a truly memorable event.

2. Usain Bolt leads Jamaica to victory

Jamaican sprinting sensation Usain Bolt electrified the Penn Relays in 2010, anchoring his team’s victory in the 4x100-meter relay with thrilling speed and charisma. Bolt’s presence elevated the event’s prestige and demonstrated the global appeal of the Penn Relays — his appearance led to a single-day record-setting 54,310-person crowd from around the world, packing the stands in the stadium to witness him run.

3. Villanova sets Penn Relays record

Another historic Penn Relays moment came in 1968, when the Villanova men’s track and field team set a new Penn Relays record in the distance medley relay with a time of 9:30.2. Led by Dave Patrick, Marty Liquori, Chris Mason, and Frank Murphy, this record-setting performance was a source of immense pride for the hometown crowd, reinforcing Villanova’s rich tradition in collegiate track and field.

4. Villanova puts women’s track and field on the map

In 1985, the Penn Relays saw a dramatic moment during the women's 4x800-meter relay when Villanova’s women’s team, led by Sonia O’Sullivan, surged ahead in the final laps to claim victory. This captivating performance underscored the high level of competition among women at the Penn Relays and showcased the emerging talent in women's track and field.

5. Tennessee runs a near perfect sprint medley relay

The Penn Relays hosted an unforgettable race in the 1976 men’s sprint medley relay. The Tennessee Volunteersclaimed victory with an astonishing finish. Gault’s explosive speed and the team’s seamless transitions made this win one of the most exciting in the meet’s history, leaving a lasting impression on all who witnessed it.

These top five moments are just a glimpse into the rich history and legacy of the Penn Relays, an event that continues to inspire athletes and captivate fans with its unique blend of tradition, excitement, and high-level competition. Each year, new stories unfold, adding to the legacy of this storied meet.

As we look ahead to the 2024 Penn Relays, anticipation is high for another unforgettable weekend of competition. From April 25 to April 27, Franklin Field will once again play host to a stellar lineup of talent representing colleges, high schools, and clubs from across the United States and abroad.

The competition will undoubtedly be fierce, the performances electrifying, and the memories lasting.