12-01-23-wrestling-vs-iowa-agustinus-porajow

Penn wrestler Nick Incontrera raises his arm in victory after a bout against Iowa on December 1, 2023.

Credit: Agustinus Porajow

In the 59th annual Midlands Championships, hosted in Chicago, No. 20 Penn wrestling entered 12 wrestlers, with six ranked entrants. Despite facing competitors from No. 7 Ohio State, No. 8 NC State, and eight other ranked teams, the Quakers (1-2) came out victorious for their first Midlands title after finishing second in last year’s rendition of the tournament.

Juniors CJ Composto and Maximus Hale each finished second in their respective weight classes, the best individual performances of coach Roger Reina’s entrants. Seniors Lucas Revano and Michael Colaiocco took home third and fourth, respectively, and senior John Stout, junior Nick Incontrera, and senior Cole Urbas each placed top ten en route to the impressive tournament win.

Penn's Midlands title was its second tournament victory of the season after defeating the likes of Harvard, No. 12 Virginia Tech, and Drexel at the 27th annual Keystone Classic, hosted by the Pennsylvania Regional Training center. Between the two meets, Penn has racked up several impressive wins over high-level wrestling programs, despite its losing dual-meet record. 

Since their Midlands victory, the Red and Blue have split their dual meets, losing against No. 13 Rutgers at home before blowing out North Carolina in Chapel Hill. EIWA play begins this Friday, when the Red and Blue will take on No. 17 Lehigh in the first of six divisional matchups. The Quakers defeated the Mountain Hawks in their meet last year and will hope to start off on a positive note to build on their third-place EIWA finish from one season ago. 

Reina has his eyes set on another breakthrough season after taking Penn back into the top 25 for the first time in nine years last season. Though the Quakers have not yet been ranked this season, they were among teams receiving votes in the latest NCAA Coaches’ Poll. Taking home first in the Midlands Championship is yet another milestone in his second stint as head coach for the Quakers.