03-02-24-simone-sawyer-tuna-sagdan
Sophomore guard Simone Sawyer attempts a layup with Harvard’s Lola Mullaney on defense. Credit: Tuna Sagdan

Electrifying. That is what best describes the charged atmosphere in the Palestra as Penn women’s basketball captured a hard-fought 69-67 win against Harvard, securing the fourth and final spot in Ivy Madness, the conference’s postseason tournament set to take place in March. 

The Quakers (15-11, 7-6 Ivy) extended their winning streak after a blowout win against Dartmouth the previous night. The intensity from the previous game carried over into senior night as Penn took on Harvard (15-11, 8-5 Ivy), with star players senior forward Jordan Obi and freshman guard Ese Ogbevire taking the Crimson by storm and contributing significantly on offense to the must-win game. 

From the jump, the game against Harvard proved to be a battle of grit. The Crimson's fast-paced ball movement and high scoring efficiency challenged Penn’s impenetrable defense, with Harvard guard Harmoni Turner sinking multiple pull-up shots from the elbow, cementing herself as a potent offensive threat. 

However, the Quakers remained undeterred. The tenacity of junior guard Lizzy Groetsch gave Penn extra possessions on both the offensive and defensive end, and Groetsch’s three pointer at the end of the first quarter gave Penn the momentum it needed going into the second. 

Throughout the rest of the first half, Penn battled the Crimson, going bucket for bucket as the score went back and forth between the two teams. Defensively, Penn continued to make things difficult for Harvard, with Groetsch recording multiple steals. Despite their standout defense, foul trouble for some of the Quakers’ pivotal offensive pieces, including freshman guard Mataya Gayle, limited them to just a one-point halftime lead.

Harvard took the lead in the second half as more Penn players found themselves in foul trouble, including Groetsch and sophomore guard Simone Sawyer. Groetsch fouled out in the opening minutes of the fourth quarter. Rather than letting this misfortune sink the team, the Quakers used it as fuel to close out the game. Obi continued to exercise her dominance in the paint, garnering several offensive rebounds. She established herself as a well-rounded offensive threat, making clutch three pointers and sinking free throws throughout the fourth quarter. 

At the same time, Ogbevire‘s successful drives at the rim caught the Crimson off guard, and her soft finishes kept the Red and Blue in the game. With 1:19 left to go, Ogbevire connected on a game-changing and-1 to put Penn ahead 63-60, a lead they would not relinquish for the rest of the night. In the end, a collaborative offensive effort and a string of clutch plays earned the Red and Blue a deserved win at the Palestra, punching Penn's ticket to New York City for a chance at Ivy League glory. 

But before the team can turn its sights toward New York City, Penn is slated for one more dance in regular season play — this time against long-time rival Princeton. The game will be a chance for the Red and Blue to warn the other tournament teams — Princeton, Columbia, and Harvard — not to overlook the team despite its 7-6 conference record ahead of Ivy Madness. 

The Quakers will face Princeton on the road next Saturday at 2 p.m. for the final game of the regular season.