03-09-24-mbb-vs-princeton-abhiram-juvvadi

Freshman guard Sam Brown evades Princeton defenders on Mar. 9.

Credit: Abhiram Juvvadi

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. 

In the final game of the season for Penn men’s basketball, the Quakers were demolished by Princeton 105-83. This marks the program’s 11th straight loss to the Tigers, going back to the 2019 season. In the 250th meeting of the rivalry, the Quakers allowed the most points scored in the history of the rivalry. The team's three graduating seniors, Clark Slajchert, Andrew Laczkowski, and Colin Chambers, who were celebrated prior to tip off, never saw a victory over Penn’s long-standing rivals.

The loss ends a forgettable season for the Quakers, one that saw them finish 3-11 in the Ivy League, the team's worst conference finish since 1957. However, failing to address the pitfalls of the season will further advance the previously-mentioned insanity of repetition. 

Play to strengths and develop fundamentals 

In order to finally get in the win column against Princeton and find success in the next season, the team needs to play to its strengths and learn to make the simple play. In the final matchup of the season, multiple possessions led to junior forward Nick Spinoso finding himself with a height mismatch under the net. The first go-around, fans quickly noticed the immense size difference between the 6-foot-9 Spinoso and the opposing Princeton player as they erupted into cheers with the hopes of an easy bucket. 

Instead, Spinoso looked to the top of the key, passing to freshman guard Sam Brown, who promptly missed an open look to the collective groans of the packed Palestra. Spinoso is always looking for his teammates, and Brown was wide-open from beyond the arc. However, every player, coach, and fan would agree to Spinoso taking the more probable two-pointer in that situation. In the second half, Spinoso found himself in a similar situation. Instead of passing out of it, he attacked the rim on the shorter defender, being fouled in the process. Although not scoring, he made the simple play. 

These examples in a season consisting of thousands of possessions may seem anecdotal, but they are truly telling of a season of missed opportunities and leaving points on the board. Take the “gimme” points, make the simple pass, and do not give up an open opportunity. Penn must capitalize on any chance given to them as its own competition will be sure to do so.

Defense wins (Ivy) championships 

Yes, it seems obvious that the team that is ranked 326th in NCAA team defensive efficiency needs to build up its defense. Notably, this rating is the worst in the Ivy League. However, Penn’s abysmal defensive performance throughout the season seems to be less about personnel and more about the defensive scheme, which is fixable. 

During the final game of the season, Coach Steve Donahue was on his literal hands and knees, banging on the court, pleading for his players to pick up their correct defensive assignments. The Quakers regularly left players wide open from beyond due to blatant confusion over who was covering who. Princeton took advantage of this, knocking down shot after shot, burying the Quakers before any successful adjustments were made. Defensive breakdowns will happen at any level of basketball, but the sheer amount of these collapses must be addressed in the offseason. 

Keep Donahue, build winning culture 

Recent murmurs around college basketball spheres have alluded to Penn making a change at the head coach position. In my opinion, firing coach Steve Donahue is completely out of the question. Changes are needed to compete at a higher level, but Donahue should be the one to execute these changes, not be the change itself. This season, Donahue was forced to rebuild a roster in shambles due to both notable departures and debilitating injuries. 

Despite this, Penn arguably had the two most exciting freshmen in the Ivy League, guards Tyler Perkins and Sam Brown. In order to continue the development of both of these players, it is imperative to keep Donahue at the helm of the program. Parting ways with Donahue following this season would risk impeding the further development of these promising players.

I have complete faith in coach Donahue to build a winning culture at Penn with a more experienced group of players next year. Going into their sophomore years, I fully expect Perkins and Brown to excel under the guidance of Donahue. This duo, along with new faces to be introduced, needs to learn how it feels to win at the D1 level. This will be possible only once needed adjustments are made. Once a winning culture is established, Penn will be able to finally topple Princeton.