02-15-23-huntsman-hall-abhiram-juvvadi

The Financial Times ranked Wharton as the best business school for MBAs in their 2024 rankings.

Credit: Abhiram Juvvadi

Penn's Wharton School was ranked first in the Financial Times’ 2024 list of the top 100 business schools for MBAs globally.

The placement follows Wharton’s absence from the Financial Times’ 2023 ranking, in which the school was unable to meet the minimum alumni survey threshold of 20%. Insead Business School in France took second place on this year's list, followed by the Columbia Business School in New York.

The ranking considers 21 wide-ranging factors in its assessment, including academic research quality, alumni salaries, and carbon footprint. Alumni responses inform eight criteria, which contribute to slightly over half of the list's weight. 12 criteria are calculated from school data, which make up 34% of the ranking. Research criteria account for the remaining 10%. 

In the 2024 U.S. News Ranking of MBA programs, Wharton placed at No. 3, dropping from its previously held first place spot. The University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business took the No. 1 spot. 

Harvard Business School, which was previously tied at No. 4 on the Financial Times' list, fell to No. 11, and Stanford dropped to No. 23 — the lowest place either school has held in the Financial Times ranking’s history

Wharton performed well in other metrics recorded by the Financial Times. The recorded weighted salary, which used data from the classes of 2020, 2019, and 2018, according to the Financial Times ranking methodology, was $245,772. Harvard and Stanford exceeded that number at $246,509 and $250,650, respectively.

Wharton has additionally placed in the top five positions consistently by other MBA ranking lists in 2023 and 2024. It is ranked No. 2 by QS Global MBA Rankings, No. 3 by Fortune, No. 5 by Forbes, and No. 8 by Bloomberg

In November of last year, Wharton ranked No. 4 in LinkedIn’s first MBA program ranking. The list ranked 50 business schools in the country based on how they prepare graduates for long-term career success.