12-01-23-wrestling-vs-iowa-martin-cosgrove-agustinus-porajow
Freshman Martin Cosgrove during Penn wrestling's meet against Iowa on Dec. 1. Credit: Agustinus Porajow

Penn wrestling — currently ranked No. 19 nationally — has been making significant strides in the collegiate wrestling landscape, underscored by the impressive rankings of several of its wrestlers in the FloWrestling and Intermat polls. Before its recent dual meet against No. 3 Iowa, Penn's lineup included eight wrestlers who had earned spots in these prestigious rankings.

This roster of ranked athletes highlights the team's depth and individual talent across a variety of weight classes. The wrestlers include freshman Max Gallagher in the 125-pound weight class, senior Michael Colaiocco (133), junior CJ Composto (141), sophomore Kelly Dunnigan (149), freshman Jude Swisher (157), junior Nick Incontrera (174), junior Maximus Hale (184), and freshman Martin Cosgrove (197). Their rankings are not only a testament to their individual skills but also reflect the strength of the team as a whole. 

A significant aspect of this team's story is the steady improvement in the rankings, particularly for wrestlers like Colaiocco and Hale. Colaiocco, competing in the 133-pound class, ascended in the FloWrestling rankings, moving from ninth to eighth nationally. This rise in the rankings is indicative of his growing reputation and consistent performance against top-tier opponents.

Hale's entry into the Intermat rankings at No. 32 in the 184-pound class is another testament to the team's rising profile. Hale's new ranking — especially considering that he was unranked in the previous two weeks — highlights his recent improvements and the recognition he's gaining in the collegiate wrestling scene. 

The team's overall performance at the PRTC Keystone Classic on Nov. 19 further highlights its growing prowess. With Composto, Gallagher, and Incontrera winning titles in their weight classes, and Cosgrove, Dunnigan, Hale, and Swisher securing third-place finishes, the team showcased its competitive edge and depth. While its encounter with Iowa resulted in a 22-13 team loss, the individual performances, and victories, from wrestlers like Colaiocco, Incontrera, and Hale, against top-ranked opponents from the Hawkeyes, emphasized the validity of their rankings and the competitive spirit of the Penn wrestling team.

Despite these struggles, the current rankings of the Penn wrestlers in the FloWrestling and Intermat polls are a clear indicator of the team's stature and the individual wrestlers' prowess in the national collegiate wrestling scene. Their achievements in recent competitions, coupled with their strong showings against highly ranked opponents, still set a promising trajectory for Penn wrestling.