03-12-23-heirloom-market-uchi-murima

The GIANT Heirloom Market, located at 3401 Chestnut Street, was closed for three days by the Philadelphia Department of Health for public health code violations.

Credit: Uchi Murima

Heirloom Market closed for three days starting on Jan. 18 after an inspection from the Philadelphia Department of Public Health found several code violations.

Heirloom was ordered to cease operations on the morning of Jan. 18 after a notice displayed on the front doors indicated occupancy after 11:50 a.m. of the same day was illegal. The notice further detailed that the violations had to be corrected and certified by the Health Department in order to resume operation. 

The supermarket fully reopened on Jan. 21.

The inspection report from the Philadelphia Department of Public Health indicated the presence of mice feces, gnawed food, mold in the toilet room, and a lack of hot water at the necessary handwashing sink. Among the needed corrective actions were the removal of spaces that allow vermin entry to the walk-in cooler.

Heirloom Market was ordered to correct the violations under Section 6-502 of the Philadelphia Health Code. The notice posted on the door also indicates that the store will have to pay $315 for reinspection. 

During the mandatory 48-hour closure after the issuing of the report, anyone other than those correcting the violations that occupy the premises is subject to arrest and a fine of up to $300 if convicted.

College sophomore Luna Chen told The Daily Pennsylvanian that the health violations would not impact her future shopping habits.

"When Hill Dining was found to have similar health violations, because it was one of the only options for food, myself and many others still continued to eat there,” Chen said, referring to a series of violations in dining halls reported by The Daily Pennsylvanian last spring.

Still, College and Engineering first year Justin Wang told the DP that Heirloom's closure was highly inconvenient for many students.

"The closure of Heirloom during those days really affects those who live near it, as ACME is too far to be a convenient option,” Wang said.