09-09-22-field-hockey-vs-boston-college-samantha-turner
Now-senior forward/midfielder Allison Kuzyk during last season's matchup against Boston College on Sept. 9, 2022. Credit: Samantha Turner

While Penn field hockey (7-10, 5-2 Ivy) had an up and down year, forward/midfielder and captain Allison Kuzyk did not. The senior was incredible throughout the season, and her play recently earned her a spot on the National Field Hockey Coaches Association 2023 Division I Senior team.

Kuzyk led the Quaker in goals scored with 13 and was able to score in seven consecutive games during an impressive stretch of the season. She finished with 27 points, enough to be second in the Ivy League and was reliable in the clutch, scoring 4 game-winners, which is also second in the the conference. 

After making second-team All-Ivy last year, Kuzyk built on this achievement by receiving first-team All-Ivy Honors this season, capping off an impressive campaign. She is also a part of the Canadian national team and has been named captain, adding to her already-impressive resume. Moreover, Kuzyk also earned PhillySIDA Academic All-Area honors this year.

Kuzyk has been a major contributor for the Quakers since her sophomore year when she was one of only three sophomores to play in all 16 games during the 2021 season. In her junior year, Kuzyk was a top 10 scorer in the Ivy League, finishing the season ranked ninth in goals. Her emergence as a key member of the team was highlighted by two Ivy League Offensive Player of the Week awards in the same month.

The team, overall, had a rough season. After starting 2-4 with the season opener being a 4-0 loss to then-No.1 ranked North Carolina, the Quakers were left in a dire position record-wise. They were able to get it together during conference play and went 4-0 in their first four conference games. Unfortunately, inconsistency came back to haunt them as they dropped two of their last three conference matches to Cornell and Harvard respectively. Their early success in conference play placed them fourth in the conference, earning them a trip to the Ivy League Tournament.

Although the Red and Blue fell to Harvard in the Ivy League tournament, they’ve had many bright spots this season. Some of those include an 8-1 blowout win over Georgetown, making the Ivy Tournament, and of course, Kuzyk’s consistently dominant performances.