10-28-23-womens-soccer-vs-cornell-ginger-fontenot-tuna-sagdan
Senior defender Ginger Fontenot of Penn women's soccer during the matchup against Cornell on Oct. 28. Credit: Tuna Sagdan

The Ivy League announced All-Ivy honors for field hockey and women’s soccer on Wednesday, and on the list were seven honorees from Penn field hockey (7-9, 5-2 Ivy) and one from women's soccer (6-7-3, 1-4-2). 

The awards cap off an impressive season for field hockey seniors forward/midfielder Allison Kuzyk and goalkeeper Frederique Wollaert. Kuzyk has led the offense with 13 goals and 27 points, including four goals in the team's final two games. For her efforts, she was named to the first team. It’s her second appearance on an All-Ivy list after earning second team recognition last season. 

While Kuzyk lit up the score sheet, Wollaert held down the back end in net. She started all 16 games, making 91 saves on the season and playing a team-high 990 minutes. She was named Ivy League Defensive Player of the Week and finished with a .746 save percentage. Wollaert also earned a spot on the All-Academic team.

The two are joined on the list by second team honorees sophomore midfielder/defender Julia Ryan and junior midfielder Sophie Freedman. 

This is Freedman's first appearance on an All-Ivy team after earning an honorable mention in 2022. She has been a consistent contributor for the Quakers over the past three seasons, appearing in 43 total games. She set a career-high this season with 699 minutes played and scored the game-winning goal in double overtime against Princeton on Oct. 4. Ryan scored her first career goal against Georgetown and finished the season with a career-high eight points. Her six assists were the second most on the team. It is her first appearance on an All-Ivy team.

Rounding out the list, junior midfielder/defenders Courtney Kenah and Kylie Wall, and senior forward Lis Zandbergen all earned Honorable Mentions. 

Moving to the soccer pitch, senior defender Ginger Fontenot picked up a first-team All-Ivy honor. The defender started in 13 games for the Quakers, and led a defense that allowed only 13 goals all season. It is her second time on the All-Ivy team, earning a second team recognition last season. 

She is joined by fellow senior defender Maya Leschly, who earned an All-Academic team nod. Leschly has appeared in 42 games for the Quakers over the last three seasons, and no team scored more than two goals in any of the games Leschly appeared in this year.

Women's soccer concluded their season last weekend with a 2-1 come-from-behind victory over Cornell (4-5-6, 0-5-2). For Ryan, the Brookline, Mass. native's next game will be a homecoming of sorts as field hockey heads to Cambridge, Mass. this weekend for the Ivy League tournament. They will take on Harvard (13-3, 7-0) at 3 p.m. on Friday.