9-18-22-mens-golf-john-richardon-anna-vazhaeparambil

Sophomore John Richardson competes in the Cornell and Temple Invitational on Sept. 18, 2022.

Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

The spring golf season is just over one week old, but both the men's and women's teams have already competed at two tournaments, and Penn is off to a promising start. 

The women’s team in particular has hit the ground running, winning their first tournament of the season at last week's Kingsmill Intercollegiate. The Quakers shot 299 as a team in Tuesday’s final round, the best among the 19 schools competing. They finished the tournament with a score of 906, narrowly beating out High Point, which put up a score of 908. This is the 14th title in program history and the third in the last two years. 

Penn followed that up this weekend with a strong showing at the JEL Golf Intercollegiate at Prospect Bay, coming in second and only four strokes behind champions Harvard. Last year, the Quakers won a total of two events in the spring, so these two results show that Penn is already building on those performances. 

Despite not making it to the higher end of the standings, the men's team is showing promise after their first two tournaments of the spring season. The team shot 304 in last Tuesday’s third round at Golden Horseshoe Intercollegiate to place tenth for the tournament as a whole. Sophomore George Roessler put up a strong performance, finishing 28th out of 83 golfers. Fellow sophomore Ben Scott tied for 32nd overall with a 9-over-par 222. 

The team improved in their second tournament, the Columbia Spring Invitational. They tied with Navy for eighth out of 13, putting up a score of 741 over two rounds. While they still have ground to cover, there are still several weeks left in the season and promising individual performances indicate potential for improvement as the spring progresses. 

Both teams will be in action this weekend, with the women's team competing at the Harvard Invitational in Osprey, Fla., while the men's team will be at the Princeton Invitational.