11-17-22-stas-korzeniowski-anna-vazhaeparambil
Sophomore forward Stas Korzeniowski dribbles the ball around Rutgers defenders during the first round of the NCAA tournament at Penn Park on Nov. 17, 2022. Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

Men’s soccer sophomore forward Stas Korzeniowski undoubtedly takes home the Male Breakthrough Athlete of the Year title after displaying an impressive level of play during his second season with the program. Korzeniowski started in all 18 matches in 2022 and was named Ivy League Player of the Week after a three-goal, seven-point performance against Colgate on Sept. 11 — the programs first hat trick since 2017. 

With 11 goals and seven assists during the fall season, Korzeniowski — alongside his teammate senior forward Ben Stitz — became the first Quaker in more than 25 years to score 10 or more goals in a season. By adding an assist to the Quakers' goal against Syracuse in the second round of the NCAA Championships, Korzeniowski finished his 11-goal, 29-point campaign with goals in five of the team's final seven games. His impressive fall season also resulted in him being named a second-team All-American and first-team All-Ivy, as well as Ivy League Offensive Player of the Year. 

Korzeniowski’s breakthrough performance this season played a large role in helping the Red and Blue bring home both an Ivy Championship as well as a memorable NCAA tournament win over Rutgers. He is also one of three Quakers who have signed with minor league clubs in the past few months and will play in the off-season as a new recruit for Ballard FC — a Seattle-based soccer club. He is set to compete with the squad in the Northwest Division of USL League Two from May through July. 12 regular-season games and two friendlies will make up the season, which begins on May 18 against the Vancouver Whitecaps. 

If his recent performance is any indication, Korzeniowski has a bright future ahead of him here at Penn, and it will be a sight to see where he takes the Red and Blue in 2023.

Read about the rest of DP Sports' End of the Year Awards for the 2022-23 season here.